1. The Skagit County Democrats Gala is Saturday, Jun 1, 4:00pm, Swinomish Casino and Lodge, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes – Just 13 days away!
Gala tickets are now available for purchase at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters. $60 per ticket. Gala tickets are very limited right now so before you buy your Gala Tickets online, please call or email the Skagit County Democrats’ staff for availability of tickets at 360-336-1555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Calling hours are Monday to Friday, Noon to 4:00pm. Email anytime. The Skagit Democrats will create a wait list as seats open up from reserved seating that is cancelled so please add your name to the wait list. The wait list will be called in order of sign up.To donate an item for the auction, please contact email@example.com or call 360-336-1555 during office hours (Monday – Friday, Noon to 4:00pm). All proceeds benefit the work of the Skagit County Democrats.
The Gala scheduled for Jun 1 has some volunteer positions to fill during the event. The Gala is our major fund raising event of the year. Time committment for Gala volunteers begins at 4:00pm and ends right after the live auction. If you are interested please call Headquarters at 360-336-1555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and request more information. A Gala Team member will return your call.
2. NEW – The next Gala Team Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 23, 1:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
3. Indivisible Bellingham is hosting a discussion on the Green New Deal, Monday, May 20, 6:00pm – 8:00pm, Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship (Lower level), 1207 Ellsworth Street, Bellingham
Admission is free but donations are welcome.
4. Young Democrats of Skagit County meet Wednesday, May 22, 7:00pm, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
5. The first 39th Legislative District Democrats Gala is scheduled for Saturday, May 25, 4:30pm, Hadley Hall (at Boys and Girls Club), 18513 59th Avenue Northeast, Arlington
Featured speakers will include 1st U.S. Congressional District Representative Suzan DelBene, Snohomish County Executive Dave Somers, and 39th Legislative District candidates to be announced. This will be a catered event and seats are very limited (we will only be seating 72) so be sure to get your tickets right away. Tickets are $60. Click Here for tickets and more information.
6. UPDATED – The next General Membership Meeting of the 40th Legislative District Democrats will be Sunday, Jun 2, Alger Community Hall, 18735 Parkview Lane, Burlington – Doors open at 11:15am, Social at 11:30am, Meeting starts at Noon
This will be our endorsement meeting, too. Candidates: Our 2019 endorsement application and a full list of endorsement rules are posted and available for download on our website (Click Here). NOTE: On Friday, May 10, the 40th Executive Board voted to limit the 2019 Primary endorsements to candidates running for the 40th District State Senate because of time capacity, and volunteer constraints.
REQUIREMENTS: Deadline for endorsement applications for candidates is by 5:00pm Thursday, May 23. The 40th Senate candidates must not only live in the 40th Legislative District but also must be members of the 40th Legislative District Democrats. Their membership fees are due no later than 5:00pm, Thursday, May 23 and may be sent along with their endorsement application.
- Coffee to be provided by the 40th Legislative District Democrats.
- Full agenda TBA.
- For more information email email@example.com.
7. NEW – Action Alert: Tuesday, Jun 4, United Food and Commercial Workers International Union Local 21 (UFCW 21) grocery workers are organizing a Community Leaflet and Canvass action in a neighborhood grocery store at Safeway, 1275 East Sunset Drive, Bellingham
- 4:30pm to 5:30pm: leaflet in front of store
- 5:30pm to 7:30pm: canvass the surrounding neighborhood in teams
RSVP: Kristen Beifus, 206.992.7913 (cell) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. UPDATED – Labor-Dem Work Group Meeting, Wednesday, Jun 12, 5:30pm, United Steel Workers Hall, 47 Alder Lane, Mount Vernon
We will discuss our plans for the Skagit Fair, organize for a showing of the new documentary “Labor Wars of the Northwest,” and next steps for the Grocery Workers and the proposed new refinery safety regulation.
9. The Skagit County Democrats are recruiting
The Skagit County Democrats need a cleaning person. Time involved is one or two hours a month. Job includes cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming the space and wiping down the food area and other counters. A salary is offered subject to negotiation. Please email email@example.com for more information, if interested.
10. Please consider helping the Skagit Democrats with a project for the Skagit County Fair
We want to create a ‘Donkey Flipper’ that flips bean bag donkeys into the ‘2020 Democrats Winners Pot!’ A carpenter is needed for the Donkey Flipper (not very hard to make and we have examples of the flipper) and a sewer (one who sews) for the 6 bean bag donkeys. If interested in helping, please contact Janet at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-770-3512.
11. NEW – The Washington State Public Disclosure Commission has recently initiated changes for registering and reporting
Click Here for more information. A summary has also been posted on our Skagit County Democrats Facebook page.
12. NEW – A message from Skagit County Chair Jeff Mount
“One of the items on the timeline for the Skagit Dems’ Gala on June 1 is the recognition of local dignitaries who are in attendance, as well as those who work hard to make the gala happen. Since one person who has been integral to the Gala and the party for years will be travelling and not be in attendance, I would like to recognize him in advance.
Because it is so easy to get attention through bluster and noise, we tend to underestimate people who get things done through kindness and optimism. That’s how Dave Allen has contributed so much to so many Galas over the years, and has helped our party in so many other ways, as well. It will probably not surprise anyone that preparation for an event as large as the Gala can become frantic at times, and the one constant is always Dave’s good humor, respectfulness and graciousness; reminding us of what we are here to accomplish and that we have overcome similar issues in the past.
Dave Allen’s contributions to the Democratic Party are obvious. His work for the Gala has helped to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars, as well as promote causes that matter to all of us. But less obvious is the example that he sets. Getting what we want through intimidation and manipulation may be more satisfying in the short run, but it leaves divisions that do enough damage to offset whatever is gained. The best way to build something that lasts is to work hard, think resourcefully, and be nice.
In other words, be like Dave Allen.”
13. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.