1. NEW – A message from newly designated Skagit County Democrats Chair, Lynn Campbell
“It is with a heavy heart that I share that Jeff Mount has resigned as chair. As Vice Chair, I will be stepping in the role as Chair. We will hold an election In January to fill the position of Vice Chair. In the interim, Claus Joens has volunteered and has been appointed to serve as Vice Chair, and Don Ambrose will fill in as the 39th LD Democrats Representative.I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jeff for all that he has contributed to our organization. Jeff has been with the Skagit County Democrats since 2015. In that time, he has been, and continues to be a PCO, has served as Treasurer, after which, he was elected Chair of The Skagit County Democrats. During the time he was Chair, Jeff has been a driving force behind updating our By-laws, and our Endorsement Committee’s Policy. Jeff also is credited with encouraging the Executive Board to actively find PCO’s to fill vacancies in precincts.Jeff has tirelessly looked for ways that our organization function more efficiently, and has been successful in getting us all to think of ways to become more efficient in our work. During the time Jeff was Chair, The Skagit County Democrats held the most successful Gala we’ve ever had. Jeff’s most important objective was to encourage more respect in the ways in which the E-Board members and members express differences of opinion. I will strive to carry on his work and hope to accomplish the goals he has set forth.Jeff will be sorely missed. We will continue to work together, develop cohesiveness, and move forward as an organization, and have a huge Democratic turnout for our 2020 election. Respectfully, Lynn Campbell”
2. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats will again host a Debate Watch Party, Thursday, Dec 19, 5:00pm (doors open at 4:30pm), Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
This will be a Holiday Potluck. Please bring a dish to share.
3. 40th Legislative District Representative Jeff Morris is resigning effective Jan 6,2020
Click Here for an article describing his decision. Click Here for an article explaining the process for appointment of his successor. See next item below for the meeting to select recommended replacements.
4. NEW – 40th Legislative District Democrats Special Appointment Meeting, Saturday, Dec 21, 10:00am to Noon, Skagit Public Utility District (PUD), Aqua Room, 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon
The 40th LD Democrats are announcing the meeting to fill the vacancy in the Washington State House of Representatives created with the announcement of the resignation of member Jeff Morris that occurred on Wednesday, November 29, 2019. All people are welcome to attend the meeting but only elected and appointed PCOs who live in the precinct in which they are registered will vote.
The PCOs will be voting on 3 people as possible replacements for Jeff Morris and will send their names to the San Juan, Skagit, and Whatcom County Commissioners. The commissioners will then select one person to replace Jeff Morris for just the 2020 legislative session. The position will then be filled permanently in the next General Election.
5. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats Headquarters will be closed the weeks of Christmas and New Year’s Day
We will be closed from Monday, Dec 23 – Friday, Jan 3, 2020. We will reopen on Monday, Jan 6, 2020.
6. UPDATED – There will be a Women’s March held on Saturday, Jan 18, 2020 – Women Rising 2020!
Further details will be provided when available. Volunteers for Parade Marshall, co-sponsors, etc. are needed. If you would like to help, please contact Lynn Campbell at 360-708-7044 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. NEW – Website Update
The Skagit County Democrats Website has been repaired enough to be up and running. The Skagit Democrats Events Calendar is up to date and we now have the ability to designate specific categories for donations on the Donation page in the ActBlue application. Please this use to designate how to direct the funds (membership, rent, Gala, general fund, etc.). A rewrite of the entire website is underway.
8. NEW – View the most recent Fidalgo Democrats meeting on “Gun Violence Prevention” – Click Here
9. Straw Poll
The Skagit County Democrats are conducting an on-going straw poll of preferred Presidential candidates at the Headquarters Office. We have a sandwich board in front of the office advertising it. People are encouraged to come in and vote in the straw poll. A table is set up near the front door. Ballots and a ballot box are on the table. The candidates are pictured on a white board and a book on the table gives a brief description of each. Tallys will be done every 2 weeks and results posted in the newsletter. The first tally results are:
10. Notes from Headquarters
- Elizabeth Warren – 6
- Bernie Sanders – 4
- Pete Buttigieg – 3
- Joe Biden – 2
- Amy Klobuchar – 2
- Michael Bloomberg – 1
11. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Whenever you attend meetings or events, please remember to bring a donation of food for the Food Bank collection. Jim volunteers to deliver the donations as needed. It is that time of year when everything is put to good use.
- There are Headquarters staffing gaps which may effect our ability to maintain current Headquarters hours. If you have some weekly or by-weekly time and would like to volunteer, send an email to email@example.com or call us at 360-336-1555 and leave your contact information.