1. NEW – New Headquarters Office Space
At the last Executive Board Meeting on Tuesday, Jul 6, the Board approved negotiations to open for new Headquarters Office space at 2021 College Way, Mount Vernon. We will be occupying the space previously used by Farmer’s Insurance. In addition to the office space, we will have access to a large conference room on the ground floor for meetings. We will also have access to a smaller conference room on the upper floor. Although we will be downsizing a bit, the move represents a significant monetary saving over the next several years. We are planning to move “on or around August 14”. We are organizing for the move and will need volunteers to help with it in various forms as that date approaches. More information to follow.
2. The Fidalgo Democrats next meeting is Tuesday, Jul 13, 7:00pm – 9:00pm via Zoom to present a candidates’ forum for Anacortes Mayor and Anacortes School Board
All candidates for Anacortes City Mayor and contested Anacortes School Board races have been invited to join the pre-primary forum. They will have the opportunity to introduce themselves, followed by prepared questions from moderator, Shay Schual-Berke, former Washington State Representative. There will be time for Q&A from the audience. This is an opportunity to meet the candidates and have your questions answered. For more information contact Barbara Cooper, 360-293-4123.
3. NEW – 1st Congressional District Representative Suzan DelBene is hosting a Child Tax Credit Town Hall, Thursday, Jul 15, 3:00pm – 4:00pm via Facebook Live
To submit questions ah
Please note: We will be calling for volunteers to be Election Observers. If you are interested in helping with this, please contact <email@example.com>.ead of time or share your personal story with her team, please fill out this form (Click Here). To watch when the event starts, Click Here. For more information Click Here.
4. NEW – The next 10th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, Jul 17, 10:30am – 12:30pm, via Zoom
5. NEW – The next 40th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Jul 22, 5:00pm – 7:00pm via Zoom
You can find the connection link on their calendar on the website.
7. NEW – Volunteers needed for the Skagit County Fair
Skagit County Democrats will be at the fair again this year! We only have a few days left before the registration deadline. We need volunteers to sign up for shifts before July 14, the last day payment needs to be submitted. Sign up and help us provide the kind of visibility and outreach to our community after this long 18 months apart since the Pandemic began. This will be a great event and a great way to connect with fellow Democrats in the county. Click Here to sign up.
Please contact Hannah Oliver if you have any questions. Call or text: 360-421-7570 – Email: Hannah.firstname.lastname@example.org
8. NEW – Important dates for upcoming election season
The following is from the Skagit County Auditor’s Office
- August 3, Primary Election
- June 18 – Military and Overseas ballots mailed
- July 14 – Official Logic & Accuracy test – 11:00 AM
- July 16 – Domestic ballots mailed
- July 26 – Deadline to register or update existing registration online and by mail
- August 3 – Deadline for in-person registration and voter updates – Closes 8:00 PM
- August 3 – 2021 Primary Election Day – Closes 8:00 PM
- August 10 – Canvassing Board Meeting – 1:30 PM*
- August 17 – Primary Election Certification – 1:30 PM*
- November 2, General Election
- September 17 – Military and Overseas ballots mailed
- TBD – Official Logic & Accuracy test
- October 13 – Domestic ballots mailed
- October 25 – Deadline to register or update existing registration online and by mail
- November 2 – Deadline for in-person registration and voter updates – Closes 8:00 PM
- November 2 – 2021 General Election Day – Closes 8:00 PM
- November 16 – Canvassing Board Meeting – 1:30 PM*
- November 23 – General Election Certification – 1:30 PM*
*Times may change if a scheduling conflict arises. Changes will be posted on the Auditor’s web site.
All Logic & Accuracy Tests, Canvassing Board, and Certification Meetings are held at: Skagit County Elections Department, Skagit County Auditor’s Office, 700 South 2nd Street, Room 201, Mount Vernon, WA 98273.
Please note: We will be calling for volunteers to be Election Observers. If you are interested in helping with this, please contact email@example.com.
9. NEW – Redistricting is happening now
The Washington State Redistricting Commission has invited observation and participation in the process. Their website can be found Here.
Locally, the next Public Outreach Meeting for Congressional Districts 1 and 2 is scheduled for Saturday, Jul 24, 10:00am – 12:00pm via Zoom. Click Here to register.
The Commission has also released a “mapping tool” that is available on their site that citizens can use to create redistricting maps. Editor’s Note: this is not a very intuitive tool. Users will want to review the User Guide before trying it out.
10. Headquarters Office Reopening — Volunteers Needed!
“As COVID restrictions have eased and vaccination rates have risen, we hope to reopen the Skagit Democrats office in downtown Mount Vernon in July! As many of our members who previously staffed the office are no longer available, we are in search of some great people to keep the doors open and be the face of the Skagit Dems to our community.
We’re also working on a suite of important projects that volunteers can work on when not interfacing with the public, so that we can improve our capacity to elect Democrats up and down the ballot! If you’re interested or would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for all you do!”
11. Skagit County Democrats Volunteer Opportunities
- Are you active with social media? If you love to Tweet or post Facebook messages, we need you! Please contact Kat Lohman at email@example.com.
- Are you a policy wonk and are actively tracking bills? Please be part of a new committee – the Legislative Committee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have various Committees needing volunteers, including the Candidate Recruitment, Social Media, Finance, Outreach, and Fundraising Committees. Due to Covid-19, all events and meetings are online, and everyone is working from home. If you are interested in learning more about volunteering and being on our Committees, please reach out to our Volunteer Coordinators, and they will help you find the right fit for your skills. We can also connect you to the Committee Chairs or our Party Chair. Please reach out to Larry at Larry.Hilliard@gmail.com for more information about Committees or Ashley at email@example.com for Outreach and Candidate Recruitment Committees.
12. Join the conversation with Skagit County Democrats on Facebook and Twitter!
Engaging with our social media content by liking, commenting, and sharing helps us reach more viewers, builds community in a digital space, and provides opportunities to better mobilize when opportunities arise. If you haven’t already, please consider:
- Following us on Twitter.
- Liking our Facebook page.
- Joining the new Skagit County Democrats private Facebook group. This is open to all Skagit Dems members, voters, and like-minded constituents. The link directs you to the group, where you’ll have to request to join and an Online Media Posting (OMP) Committee member will approve your request.
For questions about Skagit County Democrats social media, please contact OMP@skagitdemocrats.org.
13. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- New 2020 voter data: How Biden won, how Trump kept the race close, and what it tells us about the future
- The Missing Chips – How to Protect the Semiconductor Supply Chain
- Mystery Solved: How Plant Cells Know When to Stop Growing
- A Massive Water Recycling Proposal Could Help Ease Drought
1. NEW – Anacortes Primary Candidates Forum, Wednesday, Jul 14, 5:30pm – 8:00pm, Anacortes City Council Chambers, City Hall, 904 6th Street, Anacortes
“Please email any questions you have for the candidates to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 7th . . . Please feel free to watch as we live stream on the City of Anacortes’ YouTube channel.” Click Here for more information.
2. NEW – Shipwreck Music Fest, Saturday, Jul 17, 12:00pm – 8:00pm, Causland Park, 8th Street and M Avenue, Anacortes
This event is free and family friendly, but the organizers will be passing the hat for donations. The bands performing are: The Enthusiasts, Reptile Authority, RTurner, The Fieldboats, Karl Blau, Laser Zeppelin III, Enduro, Gift Machine, Young Hunks, Ebb, Slack and Flood, and Fanny Alger. Click Here for more information.
3. NEW – 4th Annual Darrington Street Fair, Saturday, Jul 17, 10:00am – 4:00pm, Darrington
Click Here for more information.
4. NEW – Skagit County Document recording fees to increase on July 25, 2021
“Beginning on July 25, 2021, document recording fees collected by the Skagit County Auditor’s office will increase by $100 (from $103.50 to $203.50) to record the first page; charges for additional pages may apply depending on document. This increase is mandated by SHB 1277, Providing for an additional revenue source for eviction prevention and housing stability services which was passed by the State Legislature and signed by Governor Inslee during the 2021 legislative session.” Click Here for more information.
5. Whidbey Island Fair will be Thursday, Jul 15 – Sunday, Jul 18, 819 Camano Avenue, Langley
Click Here for more information.
6. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Reopening – Washington State has now reopened with some exceptions. The Governor’s Reopening guidance included:
- Vaccine verification/negative testing: Recommended but not required for large indoor and outdoor events
- Capacity limitations: No restrictions in restaurants, bars, stores, businesses, theaters etc. (except large indoor events)
- Physical distancing: No requirements
- Travelers: Follow CDC recommendations
- Facial covering/Masking: Not required for vaccinated individuals, unless required by individual business
The WA State Secretary of Health’s mask order will remain in place even after June 30, meaning that people who are not fully vaccinated must continue to wear a face mask in public indoor settings. All people, regardless of vaccination status, are still required to wear masks in certain places, such as:
- Child care facilities, camps, K-12 schools, and other youth settings where children are present or expected to be present;
- Health care settings, in accordance with CDC health care infection prevention and control recommendations;
- Correctional facilities in areas where incarcerated individuals are present or expected to be present;
- Homeless shelters in areas where individuals being served are present or expected to be present;
- Public transportation and transportation hubs, including airports, bus or ferry terminals, train and subway stations
Businesses and local authorities will continue to have the right to be stricter in their masking requirements after June 30. Guidance for employers is available on the WA State Department of Labor & Industries website.
Masking helps protect those who are unvaccinated, including children who are not yet eligible to be vaccinated and others with auto-immune or other conditions that prevent them from being vaccinated. Parents should be reminded that there is real risk to children until vaccinations are available. Kids who aren’t vaccinated still need to wear masks, though children younger than two years old should never wear a mask due to the risk of suffocation.
For more information on what reopening entails, refer to the follow links: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/FrequentlyAskedQuestions or https://www.governor.wa.gov/issues/issues/covid-19-resources/covid-19-reopening-guidance.
COVID-19 Vaccines – COVID-19 Skagit County Public Health DRIVE-THRU Vaccination Site at the Skagit County Fairgrounds HAS NOW CLOSED. Other local vaccine sites can be obtained Here by entering your Zip code.
*New* Pop-Up Vaccine Clinics this summer! Find us at the following Skagit County locations:
- Tues, July 13: Skagit Valley Family YMCA from 4:30-7:30pm
- Wed, July 14: Skagit Transit Station, Downtown Mount Vernon from 5-9pm
- Wed, July 21: Skagit Transit Station, Downtown Mount Vernon from 5-9pm
- Thu, July 22: Concrete Youth Activity Day from 3-5pm
- Sat, July 24: Clear Lake Fire Department from 10am-2pm
- Sat, July 24: Gran Jaripeo Baile, Mount Vernon from 1-10:30pm
- Wed, July 28: Skagit Transit Station, Downtown Mount Vernon from 5-9pm
- Sat, August 7: Cascade Middle School, Sedro-Woolley (times TBD)
- Aug 11-14: Skagit County Fair from 10am-10pm
All individuals 12 years of age and older are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. Parent/guardian consent to vaccinate will be required for all dependent minors (ages 12-17) and can be provided either in-person or over the phone at the time of the appointment. Please note: 12-17 years old will need to receive the Pfizer vaccine, as this is the only vaccine currently approved for use in minors.
Click Here for the Skagit County Public Health Department vaccine webpage and the most current information about availability. Evening appointments are now available at the Fairgrounds. On March 31, Governor Inslee announced that all adults, ages 16 and older, are eligible for vaccination.
Testing – Skagit County now lists several locations for COVID-19 testing. Click Here for the list.
1. Listen to Speak Up! Speak Out! Radio
Listen to Speak Up! Speak Out! – a half hour radio show committed to community, peace, justice, and non-violence issues. The show airs on Community Radio stations (times subject to change) – KSVR 91.7 FM (Skagit Valley College), Wednesdays 5:00pm, rebroadcast Sundays 8:00pm; KSVU 90.1 FM, Hamilton, Sundays 8:00pm and Thursdays 8:00am; KMRE 102.3 FM, Bellingham, Sundays 11:00am and Wednesdays 7:30am. Our shows are available online. Stream or download a show at http://speakupspeakoutradio.org/ anytime.
SUSO will not be broadcasting a program this week. Previous shows are still available as noted above.