News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for April 25, 2022
1. NEW – Gala News for this week
Invitation to Gala and Call for Silent Auction Donations
The silent auction portion of our annual fundraising gala is integral to financially sustaining our yearly operations and supporting local progressive candidates and causes. There are two ways that we are depending on you for help.
- Come party with us! This year’s fundraising gala and auction is happening at the Swinomish Casino and Lodge on Saturday, June 4th. You can PURCHASE TICKETS HERE (please be sure to write “gala tickets” in the memo portion). Tickets are $75.00 each or $600.00 for a table of 8.
- We know that you have interesting and fun things to donate to our silent auction. To help make our silent auction especially successful, please consider donating items that feature sports teams, hobbies, treats, favorite restaurants or venues. Smaller items can be combined in a basket with a theme. Think creatively and donate generously – “one person’s junk is another’s treasure.” Item donations are gratefully accepted at our office from 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday-Thursday: 2021 E. College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon. For your convenience, we also are pleased to offer item pick-up. Please call us at 360-336-1555 to make arrangements or if you any questions. The deadline for item donations is May 20, so don’t delay!
Skagit County Democrats Annual Gala Information
- When: Saturday, June 4, 2022
- Where: Swinomish Casino and Lodge, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes
- Doors Open: 4:00pm
- Meet & Greet: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Silent Auction: 4:00pm – 6:30pm
- Dinner: 6:30pm
- Live Auction: Following Dinner
- Tickets: $75.00 per person
- Table of 8: $600.00
2. The 40th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meets Tuesday, Apr 26, 6:00pm – 7:30pm, via Zoom
Click Here for the Zoom link. More information is available on the 40th LD Dems website.
3. NEW – Workers Memorial Day, Thursday, Apr 28, 12:00pm – 1:30pm, on the lawn between the Bellingham Public Library Central Library and Bellingham City Hall
“Northwest Washington Central Labor Council 2022 Worker Memorial for those Washington workers who died at work in 2022. For additional information, please contact Northwest Washington Central Labor Council at 360-319-2280.” Click Here to register for the event.
4. 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen has two events scheduled for Thursday, May 5
“We are hosting two events in Mount Vernon on May 5th and would love to see everyone there. We will be doorbelling from Hillcrest Park at 1:00pm and having a kick-off celebration at 5:30pm at Skagit River Brewery. Please RSVP on the Facebook event – https://www.facebook.com/events/1038859543373048/.”
May 5th (Skagit County)
- 1:00pm – 5:00pm: Doorbelling in Mount Vernon (Hillcrest Park)
- 5:30pm – 7:00pm: Celebration and Fundraiser Event in Mount Vernon (Skagit River Brewery)
5. Bill Pfeifer Celebration of Life, Sunday, May 1, 1:30pm, Concrete Theatre, 45920 Main Street, Concrete
It has been almost a year (May 4, 2021) since Bill left us. A Celebration of Life is now planned. “A memorial video will be show at 1:30pm, Doors open at 1:00pm. Light refreshments and a no-host ice cream bar will be served. Come to share your memories of this wonderful man.”
6. NEW – Fidalgo Democrats’ meeting of Apr 12 (Legislative Update with Representatives Alex Ramel and Dave Paul) can now be viewed on YouTube
Click Here for the link.
7. Skagit County Democrats will continue to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
While the Statewide mask mandate has been lifted for many situations, we will continue to require facemasks at our Headquarters until further notice.
8. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Profits and the pandemic: As shareholder wealth soared, workers were left behind
- Russians at War Putin’s Aggression Has Turned a Nation Against Itself
- Gravity Could Solve Clean Energy’s One Major Drawback
- Europa’s Icy Shell May Be Habitable for Life
- Heatwaves at both of Earth’s poles alarm climate scientists
1. NEW – Skagit County Traffic Construction News
- Bow Hill Road Open to Traffic – Click Here for more information.
- Farm to Market and Josh Wilson Road Intersection Construction to Begin First Week of May – Click Here for more information.
2. Denim Day 2022, Wednesday, Apr 27, sponsored by Skagit Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Services
“Every year, SDVSAS advocates don their denim and support survivors! We invite our Skagit community partners, donors, and supporters to join us. Encourage your staff, friends, and family to participate and help us raise awareness about sexual violence in our community.” Click Here for more information.
3. NEW – Friends of the Burlington Public Library Book Sale, Friday, Apr 29, 10:00am – 4:30pm and Saturday, Apr 30, 10:00am – 3:00pm, Burlington Public Library, 820 East Washington Avenue, Burlington
4. National Women’s Political Caucus of WA for Movers and Shakers 2022, Saturday, Apr 30, 3:00pm – 5:00pm, Washington Athletic Club, 1325 6th Avenue, Seattle
The NWPC of Washington brings together current elected officials, candidates (and aspiring candidates), consultants, campaign managers, politicos, new and long-time organizers, allies, business leaders, and lobbyists for drinks, appetizers, connection, and conversation. We’ll inspire, motivate, and showcase the sheer number of women across Washington making an impact in every area of politics, business, and nonprofits. Sponsor proceeds and donations directly support women candidates running in the 2022 election cycle. Click Here for more information and to register.
5. Marcha Campesina, Sunday, May 1, 9:00am, Edgewater Park, Mount Vernon
March in solidarity with farmworkers and their families. After gathering at Edgewater Park, the march will proceed through Mount Vernon to Burlington and end with a food and community celebration at Horseshoe Park. Skagit County Democrats signed up to provide water and snacks so donations through our Headquarters Office would be appreciated. Click Here for more information.
6. NEW – The monthly Planned Parenthood rally is Saturday, May 7, 11:00am – 12:00pm, on the sidewalk in front of the Mount Vernon Health Center, 1805 East Division Street, Mount Vernon
Bring your signs, your friends, your family, and your masks.
7. NEW – Wildcat Steelhead Club Kids’ Annual Fishing Derby, Saturday, May 7, 8:00am – 3:00pm (gates open 7:00am), Thompson Pond, Olmsted Park, Old Northern State Grounds, 1451 North Fruitdale Road, Sedro Woolley
Kids 14 years old and younger. Bring your own bait and gear. Free hotdogs and refreshment. Click Here for more information.
8. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Apr 20
Click Here for the full report and resources.