News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for June 6, 2022
1. House party for Dave Paul, 10th Legislative District Representative, Position 2, hosted by Jere LaFollette, Tuesday, Jun 7, 5:30pm, Mount Vernon
Light refreshments will be provided by the host. To RSVP, please email Marie at email@example.com.
2. Fidalgo Democrats will meet Tuesday, Jun 14, 7:00pm – 9:00pm via Zoom
"Liz Lovelett, Senator from the 40th will join us to talk about the past legislative session and to let us know what is planned for next year. Please join to hear about what exciting legislation is planned for 2023. Call Barbara Cooper, 360-293-4123 for the zoom link."
3. NEW – Rick Larsen has some doorbelling events in Skagit county coming up
"We are hosting two events in Skagit County this month and would love to see you there! Please RSVP by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (360)421-7570.
- Saturday, June 11th – 1:00pm Doorbelling in Sedro Woolley (Riverfront Park)
- Saturday, June 18th – 1:00pm Doorbelling in Burlington (Maiben Park)
If you would like to join our campaign or get a yard sign, please let us know by filling out our brief form: https://bit.ly/larsen22.
Hannah Oliver, Field Coordinator, Citizens to Elect Rick Larsen"
4. NEW – Jessica Wadhams, Candidate for 39th Legislative District Representative, Position 2, Sedro-Woolley Doorbelling Kickoff and Celebration, Sunday, Jun 12, 1:00pm, The Garage Cafe, 227 East State Street, Sedro-Woolley
We will meet at the Garage Cafe for "Beginners Training", then we will knock on doors in the area. We will later meet at 4:00pm at the Garage Cafe to celebrate and share doorbelling stories. Sign up here.
5. NEW – Join with Fidalgo Democrats and Skagit County Democrats as we march in the First Annual Anacortes Pride Parade, Saturday, Jun 18, 11:00am – 12:00pm, downtown Commercial Avenue, Anacortes
Parade route: Starting place on 3rd Street and O Avenue – 3rd Street and Commercial Avenue – Commercial Avenue and 10th Street – 10th Street and N Avenue, and end at Causland Park. Line up on O Avenue at 10:00am. Look for our banner. Parade starts 11:00am – Picnic in the Park until 7:00pm. Click Here for more information.
6. NEW – The 10th Legislative District Democrats General Membership Meeting is Saturday, Jun 18, 10:00am via Zoom
Click Here to register in advance for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
7. NEW – Anacortes 2022 4th of July Parade – Call for Volunteers to walk the parade
This year, Skagit County Democrats and Fidalgo Democrats will walk together in the Anacortes 4th of July Parade. This is a call for our members and families/friends to participate in this event on Monday, Jul 4. Parade begins at 11:00am from the location of 3rd Street and Commercial Avenue. We will assemble at 10:00am.
We will have our banner, flags and some signs. Feel free to bring your own. Candidates may bring your signs. Wear your red, white and blue! This is an important opportunity for Democrats to show our strength and unity as we approach the November elections. Please RSVP your intention to walk the parade by emailing Charles Ivory, email@example.com .
8. The Skagit County Democrats Annual 2022 Gala has been postponed until Oct 8
"The gala team has made the difficult decision to postpone our 2022 fundraising gala and auction from our original date of Saturday, June 4th to Saturday, October 8th.
We continue to sell tickets! – $75.00 per person or $600.00 per 8-person table. If you have already purchased gala tickets, you can either keep them for the October date or you can request a refund by calling: 360-336-1555. The theme for this year is: "Ensuring our Democracy Together." To secure your tickets please make a donation using this link. Please indicate "Gala" and the number of tickets in the "Purpose" box.
We will continue to gratefully accept any auction item donations through spring and summer in preparation for our fall gala. Donations can either be dropped off at our Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, from 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday-Thursday or you can request an item be picked-up – email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Washington State Democratic Convention
"Join us for our party’s annual convention June 24-25 at the Tacoma Convention Center. More information will be released soon, including the names of our VIP guests!"
10. Skagit County Democrats will continue to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
While the Statewide mask mandate has been lifted for many situations, we will continue to require facemasks at our Headquarters until further notice.
11. NEW – A message from 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen
"Another shooting in Tulsa following Udalve and Buffalo. Congress needs to act! Regardless of what the Senate does, the House needs to move on legislation (again!)
Next week, we will take up an Extreme Risk Protection Order bill similar to what our state has passed. Speaker Pelosi has also indicated we will take up the Universal Background Checks bill. We have already passed a bill to close the Charleston loophole. We need to ban gun sales over the internet and high-capacity magazines.
I have found that most people understand that a comprehensive solution is needed to the gun epidemic in the US. But to act comprehensively without a gun responsibility element is like not acting at all. I hope you agree.
12. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Ethiopia’s Invisible Ethnic Cleansing
- No, Ann Coulter, I Am Not Responsible for the ‘Great Replacement’ Theory
- But CAN the United States defend Taiwan?
- Everything You Should Know About Plan B
- World’s Largest Plant Is a Seagrass That Clones Itself
1. NEW – Schools are closing this month! Watch for the kiddos running around out there! Here is the scheduled “Last Day of School” list
- Anacortes – Tuesday, June 21 – Half Day for Pre-K-11
- Burlington-Edison – Thursday, June 16 – Student Half Day
- Concrete – Monday, June 13 – Students excused 10:00am
- Conway – Wednesday, June 15 – Early out, noon
- La Conner – Monday, June 13 – Early Release
- Mount Vernon – Friday, June 17 – Early Release-2 hrs
- Sedro-Woolley, Friday, June 17 – No early release
2. Women2Women Circles virtual training event, Wednesdays, Jun 15 and Jul 12, 5:00pm – 6:00pm
“Women2Women Circles mobilize women to form local organizing groups that break isolation, practice feminist values in action, and grow our collective strength. Circles nurture, activate and train thousands of everyday women to take meaningful action around life and death feminist issues and organizing at the intersection of economic, racial, and gender justice. Join us to learn how you can become a Circle Coordinator and join hundreds of other local groups of women/feminists across race and place taking action, bringing new women into the fight and community with each other.” Click Here for more information.
3. Annual Call for Applications for the County Planning Commission
The Planning Commission works with the Planning and Development Services Department and advises the Department and the Board of County Commissioners on proposed land use plans and regulations in unincorporated Skagit County. Currently, there are no vacancies on the Planning Commission. This call for applications is for residents who would like to be added to the pool of candidates to be considered when there is a vacancy. Applications must be emailed no later than Friday, Jun 10, at 4:30pm. Click Here for more information.
4. Farmer’s Markets Now Open in Skagit Valley
- Anacortes – Open – Saturdays, 9:00am – 2:00pm, At the Depot, 7th Street & R Avenue
- Concrete – Open – Saturdays, 10:00am – 2:00pm, Concrete Community Center, 45821 Railroad Avenue
- Mount Vernon – Open – Saturdays, 9:00am – 2:00pm, Riverwalk Park, 501 Main Street
- Sedro-Woolley – Open – Wednesdays, 3:00pm – 7:00pm, Hammer Heritage Square, Metcalf and Ferry Streets
5. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Jun 2
Click Here for the full report and resources.