News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for August 1, 2022
1. The Primary and ballot deadline is THIS TUESDAY! GET THOSE BALLOTS IN!
2. Primary Election Information
Click Here for the Skagit County Auditor's website.
- July 25 – Deadline to register or update existing registration online and by mail
- August 2 – Deadline for in-person registration and voter updates – Closes 8:00 PM
- August 2 – Primary Election – Closes 8:00 PM
- Ballot Box Locations (NOTE: All Ballot Box locations ARE NOW OPEN)
- Anacortes Public Library (behind library near drive-up book-drop), 1220 10th Street
- Skyline Beach Club, 6041 Sands Way
- Burlington Parks and Recreation Building, 900 East Fairhaven Street
- Skagit Upriver Services/Library, 45770 A Main Street
- La Conner
- La Conner Regional Library, 614 East Morris Street
- Mount Vernon
- Mount Vernon Police Department, 1805 Continental Place
- Skagit County Auditor's Office [Courthouse], 700 S. 2nd Street (in U-shaped parking lot accessed from 3rd St. near Kincaid)
- Last Chance Casino & Bingo, 6020 Mountain Goat Way, Darrington
- Sedro-Woolley Post Office, 111 Woodworth Street (in alley between Eastern Ave and Metcalf)
- Social Services Building (in front), 17337 Reservation Road
- Click Here to access the online Voter's Pamphlets
- Click Here for information on Registering to Vote
3. Skagit County Democrats Endorsed Candidates
Below is the list of candidates endorsed by the Skagit County Democrats to date:
- Patty Murray, US Senate
- Rick Larsen, WA-02 US House
- Jason Call, WA-02 US House
- Barbara Madsen, Washington State Supreme Court
- Steve Hobbs, Washington Secretary of State
- Dave Paul, 10th LD House
- Clyde Shavers, 10th LD House
- Jessica Wadhams, 39th LD House
- Claus Joens, 39th LD House
- Debra Lekanoff, 40th LD House
- Alex Ramel, 40th LD House
- Sandy Perkins, Skagit County Auditor
- Melissa Beaton, Skagit County Clerk
- Jackie Brunson, Skagit County Treasurer
- Don McDermott, Skagit County Sheriff
- Lisa Janicki, Skagit County Commission
- Germaine Kornegay, Skagit County PUD Commission
- Jennifer Howson, Skagit County District Court Judge
4. NEW – Endorsed Candidates – Primary Party, Tuesday, Aug 2, 7:00pm, District Brewing, 520 Main St, Mount Vernon (by Riverwalk Park)
"Live music under the Tulips by the river in front of District Brewing! We have the whole outside area reserved from 7:00 for the rest of the evening. Alex Ramel, Clyde Shavers and several elected and candidates will be there. Spread the word! Bring a friend! And, of course, Vote and remind your Democrat and progressive friends to vote. Let’s party down with these great democrats to lift them up!"
5. NEW – The next Fidalgo Democrats meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Aug 9, 7:00pm – 9:00pm, via Zoom
For more information, call Barbara Cooper 360-293-4123.
Recent past Fidalgo Democrats meeting videos available for review
- 40th Legislative District Representative Debra Lekanoff, Jul 12
- 40th Legislative District Senator Liz Lovelett, Jun 14
6. NEW – Volunteer for the Skagit County Democrats booth at the Skagit County Fair, Wednesday – Saturday, Aug 10 – 13
"We need volunteers to manage our booth during the Fair on August 10th-13th. This will be a great event and a great way to connect with fellow Democrats across Skagit County. 3 Shifts per day. Click Here or email email@example.com and sign up to volunteer now!"
7. Jessica Wadhams, candidate for 39th Legislative District Representative, is hosting multiple door knocking and other events
Click Here for a listing of upcoming events.
8. Enjoy this year’s Skagit County Democrat’s Gala & Auction!
"This year’s Gala & Auction, themed “Ensuring Democracy Together,” will occur on Saturday, October 8th, at the Swinomish Casino and Lodge. Hillary Franz, State Commissioner of Public Lands, is our headliner. Festivities start at 4:00 with a Candidate Meet & Greet, to be followed by a buffet with options for all appetites. Silent and Live Auctions cap the evening of fun and camaraderie.
You may secure a seat or table online under Donate at SkagitDemocrats.org. In the Purpose box at the bottom of the Donation Page, enter “Gala” and the number of seats being purchased. In-person payments can be made at 2021 E. College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, from 12:00-4:00 Monday-Thursday. An individual seat is $75, a table for eight is $600.
We are accepting Silent and Live auction donations into the Fall. You may drop them off at Headquarters or request an item be picked up by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The more desirable auction items, the more opportunities for all to participate. Thank you in advance.
ATTENTION: Gala 2022 needs volunteers to help with several activities to make the event the huge success we want it to be, before and after as well as during. If you wish to help, please email us at SkagitDemocrats.org and put 'Volunteer for Gala 2022' in the subject line. Thank you!"
9. Skagit County Democrats continues to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
10. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Republicans' next big play is to 'scare the hell out of Washington' by rewriting the Constitution. And they're willing to play the long game to win
- Numbers game: Inside the Army’s end strength scramble
- Manchin and Schumer’s Astonishing Climate Deal
- The devaluation of assets in Black neighborhoods: The case of commercial property
- The Phrase 'We The People' Came From This Forgotten Founding Father
1. NEW – The monthly Planned Parenthood rally is Saturday, Aug 6, 4:00pm – 5:00pm, on the sidewalk in front of the Mount Vernon Health Center, 1805 East Division Street, Mount Vernon – Please note change of time
"Man I hope you’re all finding a way to stay cool in this heat! Please mark your calendars for next Saturday, Aug. 6 from 4-5pm when we’ll meet in front of Planned Parenthood in MV (1805 E. Division St.) to rally for reproductive rights. I’m requesting masks – but it’s up to each of you. Stupid COVID is not done with us yet. Bring your own signs or I’ll have plenty of extra to share, along with shirts. Also, by all means bring your friends and family . . . Debbie Grant"
2. NEW – Anacortes Arts Festival, Friday – Sunday, Aug 5 – 7, 10:00am – 6:00pm (Friday & Saturday), 10:00am – 5:00pm (Sunday), Downtown Anacortes
Annual street fair with tons of booths, music, food, and other activities.
3. NEW – Stuff the Bus Food Drive benefiting CHOW (Cutting Hunger on Weekends), Saturday, Aug 6, 11:00am – 1:00pm, Cascade Mall 201 Cascade Mall Drive, Burlington
"The CHOW program started in 2014, supporting one local elementary school. Year after year, the need for this program continually grows. With the community’s support, Helping Hands currently provides food to 1,700-2,500 kids (on average) per month. With the start of the school year right around the corner, our goal is to support more kids throughout Skagit County. To help impact the life of a child in our community, please consider donating directly to our CHOW program or stopping by the Cascade Mall . . . with food and non-food life essentials."
4. NEW – Skagit County North Star Project Call to Action Signed by Local Elected Officials
"Earlier this year, Skagit County launched the North Star project, a multi-phased whole-of government effort to address behavioral health and homelessness in Skagit County. Subsequently, in March, the Mayors and Commissioners issued a public statement in which they committed to join forces and align their efforts to work toward a healthy and thriving community to ensure the well-being of every Skagitonian." Click Here for the full press release.
5. NEW – Cascade Days 2022, Saturday and Sunday, Aug 20 & 21, Concrete
6. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Jul 19
Click Here for the full report and resources.
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Democrats are again demonstrating in Anacortes each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue. "We carry signs for Dem candidates, get out and vote signs, women's right-to-chose in healthcare and so on and so on. We need more people to show up."
2. UPDATED – Coffee & Cards is BACK! Wednesdays, 10:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
"Are you looking for a way to make a positive contribution to our democracy while enjoying the company of others? Coffee and Cards is starting up again on Wednesdays from 10-11 am. This is a group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan (who sadly moved away) and is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.44. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, 360-336-1555."