News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for August 15, 2022
1. NEW – Event to support 40th Legislative District Representative Debra Lekanoff, Thursday, Aug 18, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, Home of Jovan and Bob Hall, 115 South Forest Street, Bellingham
Click Here for more information.
2. NEW – The 10th Legislative District Democrats will be having a general membership meeting at 10:00am on Saturday, Aug 20 via Zoom
Click Here to register in advance for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
3. Jessica Wadhams, candidate for 39th Legislative District Representative, is hosting multiple door knocking and other events
Click Here for a listing of upcoming events.
4. NEW – A recording of Fidalgo Democrats' recent meeting about the Danger of an Article 5 Constitutional Convention is now available
Click Here for the YouTube recording.
5. Skagit County Democrat’s “Ensuring Democracy Together” Gala & Auction!
"Many thanks to those of you who have donated to our Silent and Live auctions. We’ve received items ranging from political ephemera to home décor to get-aways. Exciting! Please keep those donations coming; the deadline is 9/20. Contact us at (360) 336-1555 to arrange delivery or pick up.
This year's Gala will feature travel opportunities we've never been able to provide before. Belize chocolate, Kenya Safari, Rwanda monkeys, and South African wine are just some of the featured travel experiences available through the Gala at discount prices you won't believe. Best of all, there is no need to wait until October to get started – you can book any of this exciting travel at any time before the Gala. Email to staff@skagitDemocrats.org for the details.
- Event will be October 8th, starting at 4:00pm at the Swinomish Casino & Lodge
- Seats are $75, table for 8 is $600.
- Pay on line at https://secure.actblue.com/donate/skagit-county-democratic-party-1 (put number of seats in “Purpose” at the bottom of the page) or at our office at 2021 East College Way, #104, Mount Vernon, between 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday – Thursday.
- We still need volunteers to help in a variety of areas. Please email us at staff@skagitDemocrats.org with “Volunteer for the Gala” in the subject line. Thank you.
6. Skagit County Democrats continues to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
7. NEW – Article about the 39th Legislative District Representative, Position 1 race
Under the Washington State "Top Two" rule, two Republicans are pitted against each other in this year's race. Click Here for an Everett Herald article about the race.
8. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Walking a Fine Line—Educators' Views on Politicized Topics in Schooling
- China’s New Vassal How the War in Ukraine Turned Moscow Into Beijing’s Junior Partner
- With California expected to lose 10% of its water within 20 years, Newsom calls for urgent action
- Germany is now the fulcrum for Vladimir Putin’s pressure
- Why NASA Wants to Go Back to the Moon
1. UPDATED – Cascade Days 2022, Saturday and Sunday, Aug 20 & 21, Concrete
"Parade is on Saturday, August 20th and the Car Show is on Sunday, August 21st!!"
2. NEW – Fidalgo Bay Day 2022, Saturday Aug 20, 11:00am – 3:00pm, Fidalgo Bay Resort, 4701 Fidalgo Bay Road, Anacortes
"Come join us for a FREE, fun, family outing at our 18th annual Fidalgo Bay Day event at the Samish Indian Nation’s beautiful Fidalgo Bay Resort . . . Celebrate our local estuaries and the beauty, history, and wonderful marine life . . ." Click Here for the flyer.
3. NEW – Back to School 2022 – Be aware! Kids will be going back to school soon
Here are the scheduled First Days of School:
- Anacortes – Tuesday, September 6
- Concrete – Wednesday, August 31
- Conway – Monday, August 29
- Burlington-Edison – Wednesday, August 31
- La Conner – Tuesday, August 30
- Mount Vernon – Wednesday, September 7
- Sedro-Woolley – Thursday, September 1
4. Felony Convictions and Voting Rights
Effective January 1st, 2022, if you were convicted of a felony in Washington State, another state, or in federal court, your right to vote will be restored automatically as long as you are not currently serving a DOC sentence of total confinement in prison. Click Here for more information including registering to vote.
5. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of August 6
Click Here for the full report and resources.
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Democrats are again demonstrating in Anacortes each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue. "We carry signs for Dem candidates, get out and vote signs, women's right-to-chose in healthcare and so on and so on. We need more people to show up."
2. Coffee & Cards is BACK! Wednesdays, 10:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
"Are you looking for a way to make a positive contribution to our democracy while enjoying the company of others? Coffee and Cards is starting up again on Wednesdays from 10-11 am. This is a group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan (who sadly moved away) and is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.44. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, 360-336-1555."