News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for September 19, 2022
1. UPDATE – SPECIAL NOTICE! GREAT FALL GETAWAY! One time only virtual auction for two weeks in beautiful Mazatlan, Dates: October 16 – October 30, 2022
Bidding has begun for the trip to Mazatlan! Some lucky person is going to enjoy a wonderful two-week stay at the PUEBLO BONITO at EMERALD BAY & SPA, staying in an ocean view Junior Suite, which sleeps four and has a kitchenette. You can view the resort at https://www.pueblobonito.com/resorts/emerald-bay. Go to auctria.events/mazatlanvacation for full details and to bid! (Air fare is not included.) For questions, please contact Bob Doll at 360-202-6212 or by email to email@example.com. Bidding cut-off is Friday, Sep 23, to allow time for the lucky winner to make travel arrangements.
2. NEW – Skagit County Democrat’s “Ensuring Democracy Together” Gala & Auction! OCTOBER 8 IS FAST APPROACHING! Reserve your seat or table now!
We present two more terrific vacation packages you can purchase now or at our Gala!
Enjoy 6 days/5 nights for two people comprising 3 nights in Cape Town, Africa, renowned as one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and 2 nights in the Cape. Included are RT airport transport, hotel accommodations, dinners, and transfers, tours, entrance fees per itinerary. A full day Cape Peninsula tour includes visiting the Cape of Good Hope, the penguin colony in Simonstown, Hout Bay, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, and tasting wines made from the vines brought from France by the Huguenots in the late 1600’s (with a private driver). All of this for $3600 (a market value of $6200)! Airfare is not included.
For 5 days/4 nights, SIX people will enjoy calling ‘Las Golondrinas’ in the Dominican Republic home! Your private chef will take your personal grocery list and prepare all meals to perfection. Enjoy a mojito and show your friends your best moves during an evening of private merengue, salsa, bachata dance lessons (included). Relax poolside in the Caribbean breeze with a favorite book, or schedule a tee time, a day trip to Santo Domingo, or a visit to the local market or cigar factory. The market value is $11,800, but it can be yours for only $4400 (exclusive of air fare).
These are just two vacation getaways the Skagit County Democrats are offering at the Gala 2022. Because we are able to offer more than one of each trip, you may purchase now as well as at the Gala. The established purchase price makes the trips fantastic deals. Email MaryStanton7@gmail.com for information.”
- Event will be October 8th, starting at 4:00pm at the Swinomish Casino & Lodge
- Seats are $75, table for 8 is $600.
- Pay on line at https://secure.actblue.com/donate/skagit-county-democratic-party-1 (put number of seats in “Purpose” at the bottom of the page) or at our office at 2021 East College Way, #104, Mount Vernon, between 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday – Thursday.
- Click Here to see the flyer for the Gala Auction Special Travel Packages.
3. NEW – The 39th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board is scheduled to meet Sunday, 10:00am and the General Membership meets 10:30am – 11:30am, via Zoom
We do not have connection information for these meetings. Contact may be initiated at: http://www.39thdems.org/contact.
4. NEW – Weekend of Action! October 1st: Knock Doors in Anacortes, Saturday, Oct 1, 10:30am – 1:00pm, Volunteer Park, 1915 13th Street, Anacortes
“Join the Washington State Democrats during our Weekend of Action in canvassing fellow Democrats in our community to increase voter turnout and support for our awesome candidates up and down the ballot ahead of the critical November general election! We’ll meet on Saturday 10/1 at 10:30am at the Volunteer Park Baseball Fields (off 13th St) for a brief training before we head out to knock doors.” Click Here to register.
5. NEW – Campaign Activities and Issues
- Sandy Perkins, Skagit County Auditor
- “Dear Friends and Fellow Democrats, I’m Sandy Perkins and I’m running for re-election as your Skagit County Auditor. The position of Auditor is a vital one in preserving our democracy and ensuring our free and fair elections. I am being currently challenged by a Republican opponent and as we all have heard, certain fringe Republicans are trying to take over this office and at the very least, alter our voter lists.
- As I strive every day to do my very best as your County Auditor, I find that there is little time left for fundraising and doorbelling. Winning this re-election is critical to us all, so I respectfully ask for your help. If you are able, would you please help with my re-election campaign? If you would like to make a donation, please visit my website at www.sandyperkins.com (credit card donations), or please mail a check to The Committee to Re-elect Sandy Perkins – 1004 Commercial Ave. #1101, Anacortes, WA 98221. Please include your contact information and your current occupation. If you are able to help with doorbelling, please contact Lynn Campbell at the Skagit County Democrats 360-336-1555. Thank you very much for your help and especially for your vote! “
- Germaine Kornegay for Public Utility District
- “Hey Democratic friends! This is the Germaine for PUD campaign asking you to please help. I could use some help with donations and volunteering. It’s a nonpartisan race but clearly it has become partisan despite all of my efforts. So we’re calling out to you now for sign locations, donations, and volunteering. Every donation of $100 will help us reach over 400 voters! Reach out on the website – https://germaineforpud.com/.”
- Jessica Wadhams, candidate for 39th Legislative District Representative
- The campaign is hosting multiple door knocking and other events. Click Here for a listing of upcoming events.
6. Candidate signs
We have campaign signs to distribute at our Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Mount Vernon; hours – 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday – Thursday. Let’s cover/plaster/saturate the County with Democrat campaign signs! Currently available:
- Clyde Shavers
- Dave Paul
- Sandy Perkins
- Rick Larsen
- Germaine Kornegay
- Debra Lekanoff
- Patty Murray
7. NEW – Fidalgo Democrats has posted the video of their most recent Candidate Night event of Tuesday, Sep 13
Click Here to watch the video.
8. Skagit County Democrats continues to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
9. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Behind Biden’s Policies Is a Sea Change in How Economists Think
- The Fight Against an Age-Old Effort to Block Americans From Voting
- Fraudulent Document Cited in Supreme Court Bid to Torch Election Law
- Wildfires Reached a Five-Year High in the Brazilian Amazon
- The Du Bois Doctrine – Race and the American Century
1. NEW – Support the Planned Parenthood Rally – Women’s March, Skagit Wave, Saturday, Oct 8, 12:00pm – 2:00pm, Skagit County Courthouse, 205 West Kincaid Street, Mount Vernon
“In Skagit County, we’ll lift our voices to join with those all across the country on Saturday, Oct. 8th, in this fight for reproductive rights and freedom for all. We’ll have a table to register to vote and a table to find out more about volunteering for Planned Parenthood in this area. Bring your family and friends. Join us at the Skagit County Courthouse at noon!”
2. NEW – Annual Skagit County Fall Garage Sale, Friday & Saturday, Sep 23 & 24, 9:00am – 4:00PM, Skagit County Fairground, 501 Taylor St, Mount Vernon
“The 2022 Fall Garage Sale, Antiques & More Event. Over 170 Vendors occupying 340 spaces, Live musical performances, Food Vendors, a Car Show on Saturday & Much More! . . . $4 admission, $4 parking. Questions contact 360-416-1350 or email firstname.lastname@example.org“.
3. Emergency Preparedness Training, Wednesday Sep 21, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, Central Skagit Library Community Meeting Room, 110 West State Street, Sedro-Woolley
“Join us for a FREE emergency preparedness training from Skagit County Public Health! -Learn about local threats that could impact your health and safety -Get prepared -Stay informed and get registered for CODEred -Learn about local volunteer opportunities with the Medical Reserve Corp There will also be a fun activity for kids!”
4. Blood Drive, Thursday Sep 22 & Friday Sep 23, 9:00am – 4:00pm, Immaculate Heart of Mary 719 Ferry Street, Sedro Woolley
“Bloodworks Northwest reports the local blood supply is running on fumes, as donations are down and patient needs for Type O blood and platelets are at their highest. All eligible donors are urged to make an appointment to donate in the days and weeks ahead. Appointments are required! Please contact Bloodworks NW at 800-398-7888 or follow this link.
5. NEW – B’town Fall Fest, Saturday & Sunday, Sep 24 & 25, 10:00am – 4:00pm, Skagit River Park Sports Complex Playfields, 1100 South Skagit Street, Burlington
“B’town Fall Fest is a 2-Day Festival the last weekend in September! FREE Family Fun at Skagit River Park in Burlington! Kid Zone, Makers Market, Food Vendors, Pumpkin Slingers Contest, and more!”
6. Washington State League of Women Voters is offering an online training event on “Election Security: A Ballot’s Journey”, Monday, Sep 26, 10:00am – 11:00am, via Zoom
“Ever wonder how WA State counties can guarantee election security? Follow a ballot through the entire process to learn how, each step of the way, security and accuracy is assured. Snohomish County Auditor Garth Fell will be our guide.”
7. Diaper Awareness Week is coming up from September 24 – October 2 – Diaper Bank of Skagit County
“Diaper need affects 1 in 3 families, and are essential to a baby’s healthy development, yet most state and national safety-net programs do not recognize diapers as a basic need. As such, diaper banks are one of the only resources struggling families have to acquire diapers. In Skagit County, our diaper bank provides over 20 organizations with diapers and supplies!”
Do you want to host a drive? Hosting a diaper drive is a great way to come together as a community to support a large need in our county! Click Here for more information. Click Here for the Diaper Bank of Skagit County Facebook page.
8. The Intersection of Farm To Market Road at Josh Wilson Road is Now Open To Traffic!
Click Here for more information.
9. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Sep 10
Click Here for the full report and resources.
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Democrats are again demonstrating in Anacortes each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue. “We carry signs for Dem candidates, get out and vote signs, women’s right-to-chose in healthcare and so on and so on. We need more people to show up.”
2. Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 11:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10-11 am. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now lead quite capably by Judy Farrar. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.44. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, 360-336-1555.”