News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for October 10, 2022
1. NEW – A hearty big "Thank you!" to all the hard-working folks who enabled a wonderful return to a live and festive Skagit County Democrats Gala!
2. NEW – Up to their old tricks
We recently heard a complaint from a Skagit County voter that a group calling themselves the "Election Integrity Committee" knocked on her door, handing out Republican Party literature. They suggested that she not mail in her ballot, but rather drop it in the ballot box on the day of the Nov. 8 election, apparently seeking to reduce early voting. Skagit Democrats will be referring this voter’s concerns to local and state elections officials.
3. UPDATE – HUGE Thank You to all who stepped up to write postcards for the Get Out the Vote Campaign!
"Thanks to you, the number to be written dropped from over 1,700 to under 600. If you would like to help us with the final surge to finish, please contact Sheila at 360-899-4220 or email@example.com. You will be provided with what you need and we will stamp the finished cards. Pickup and drop off are at the Skagit Democrat office in Mount Vernon and at a location in Anacortes. Deadline for return is 10/18."
4. The Fidalgo Democrats meets Tuesday, Oct 11, 7:00pm via Zoom
"Your original Medicare plan could be at risk from a Trump era program called Direct Contracting which involves moving beneficiaries from traditional Medicare into plans managed by insurance companies, investment firms and other for-profit entities – often without the beneficiary’s knowledge or permission. 30 million traditional Medicare beneficiaries in 38 states have been automatically enrolled in private insurance without their knowledge or consent. Direct Contracting entities are allowed to keep as profit what they don’t pay for medical services, establishing a dangerous incentive to ration and restrict seniors' care. This Trump era policy is continuing under the Biden Administration. Learn more from our special guests, Karen Richter and Lisa Dekker from Puget Sound Advocates for Retirement Action (https://www.psara.org/) or on Facebook". If you wish to attend, please contact Barbara Cooper, Chair, 360-293-4123.
5. The 40th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meets Tuesday, Oct 11, 6:00pm – 7:30pm, via Zoom
"Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend this meeting."
6. NEW – Virtual Phone Banking in the 39th Legislative District, Wednesday, Oct 12, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, via Zoom
"Join the Washington State Democrats in phone banking fellow Democrats in our community to increase voter turnout and support for our awesome candidates up and down the ballot ahead of the critical November general election! We’ll meet on Wednesday at 5:30 on Zoom for a brief training before we jump on the phone to call voters." Click Here to sign up.
7. The 10th Legislative District Democrats General Membership meets Saturday, Oct 15, 10:00am – 12:00pm
Click Here to register in advance for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
8. The 40th Legislative District Democrats General Membership meets Sunday, Oct 16, 11:00am – 1:00pm, via Zoom
"A zoom link will be sent to all members of the 40th LD Democrats the day before the meeting."
9. UPDATED – Campaign Activities and Issues
- Ballots & Brews, Skagit County Auditor Sandy Perkins, 10th Legislative District Representative Dave Paul, and 10th Legislative District Representative candidate Clyde Shavers, Tuesday, Oct 11, 4:30pm – 6:30pm, Farmstrong Brewery and Taproom, 110 Stewart Road, Mount Vernon
- Sandy Perkins, Skagit County Auditor
- "Dear Friends and Fellow Democrats, I'm Sandy Perkins and I'm running for re-election as your Skagit County Auditor. The position of Auditor is a vital one in preserving our democracy and ensuring our free and fair elections. I am being currently challenged by a Republican opponent and as we all have heard, certain fringe Republicans are trying to take over this office and at the very least, alter our voter lists.
- As I strive every day to do my very best as your County Auditor, I find that there is little time left for fundraising and doorbelling. Winning this re-election is critical to us all, so I respectfully ask for your help. If you are able, would you please help with my re-election campaign? If you would like to make a donation, please visit my website at www.sandyperkins.com (credit card donations), or please mail a check to The Committee to Re-elect Sandy Perkins – 1004 Commercial Ave. #1101, Anacortes, WA 98221. Please include your contact information and your current occupation. If you are able to help with doorbelling, please contact Lynn Campbell at the Skagit County Democrats 360-336-1555. Thank you very much for your help and especially for your vote! "
- Germaine Kornegay for Public Utility District
- "Hey Democratic friends! This is the Germaine for PUD campaign asking you to please help. I could use some help with donations and volunteering. It's a nonpartisan race but clearly it has become partisan despite all of my efforts. So we're calling out to you now for sign locations, donations, and volunteering. Every donation of $100 will help us reach over 400 voters! Reach out on the website – http://www.germaineforpud.com/."
- Jessica Wadhams, candidate for 39th Legislative District Representative
- The campaign is hosting multiple door knocking and other events. Click Here for a listing of upcoming events.
- Click Here for the list of the candidates endorsed by the Skagit County Democrats.
10. Candidate signs
We have campaign signs to distribute at our Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Mount Vernon; hours – 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday – Thursday. Let's cover/plaster/saturate the County with Democrat campaign signs! Currently available:
- Clyde Shavers
- Dave Paul
- Sandy Perkins
- Rick Larsen
- Germaine Kornegay
- Debra Lekanoff
- Patty Murray
11. 2022 Election Information (from the Skagit County Auditor's website
Click Here for the Registration page.
- October 19 – Domestic ballots mailed
- October 31 – Deadline to register or update existing registration online and by mail
- November 8 – Deadline for in-person registration and voter updates – Closes 8:00 PM
- November 8 – Special Election – Closes 8:00 PM
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Click Here for a map of locations
- Anacortes Public Library (behind library near drive-up book-drop), 1220 10th Street
- Skyline Beach Club – 6041 Sands Way
- Bow Edison
- Fire District 5 Fire Station, 14304 West Bow Hill Rd
- Burlington Parks and Recreation Building (north side of Fairhaven Ave parking lot), 900 East Fairhaven Street
- Conway Fire Department, 21020 Greenfield Street
- Skagit Upriver Services, 45770 Main Street
- La Conner
- La Conner Library, 614 East Morris Street
- Mount Vernon
- Mount Vernon Police Department, 1805 Continental Place
- Skagit County Auditor's Office [Courthouse] (in U-shaped parking lot accessed from 3rd St. near Kincaid), 700 South 2nd Street, Room 201
- Last Chance Casino, 6020 Mountain Goat Way, Darrington
- Sedro-Woolley Post Office (in alley between Eastern Ave and Metcalf), 111 Woodworth Street
- Social Services Building, 17337 Reservation Road
12. Facemasks are now OPTIONAL at Skagit County Democrats Headquarters
13. NEW – Skagit Democrats Instagram
The On-Line Media Posting (OMP) has been working on our Instagram page. Check it out at: https://www.instagram.com/skagitcountydemocrats/.
14. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- When Will the Pandemic Truly Be ‘Over’?
- Guns – Facts Still Matter, Even If the Court Signals Otherwise
- What if Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine?
- To Keep People from Procrastinating, Don’t Give Them a Deadline
- Ada Limón Is a Poet Laureate for the 21st Century
1. NEW – Monday, Oct 10 is World Mental Health Day
2. NEW – October Presentation – "Towards the Elimination of Nuclear Weapons", Vienna, Non-Proliferation Treaty and Beyond, Tuesday, Oct 18, 7:00pm via Zoom
"Joanne Dufour from the “Olympia Coalition Against Nuclear Weapons” had the opportunity to participate in the Tenth Review Conference of the Non-Proliferation Treaty of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) at the UN in New York this August. She will share her experience with us and update information on the NPT as well as the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW). Join us! A Zoom link will be posted on our website and emailed before the presentation – www.nomorebombs.org."
3. In Case You Missed It – "Election Security: A Ballot's Journey" presented by the Washington State League of Women Voters Sep 26 can be viewed on YouTube – Click Here.
4. COVID-19 Information
Click Here for the most current report and resources.
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Democrats are again demonstrating in Anacortes each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue. "We carry signs for Dem candidates, get out and vote signs, women's right-to-chose in healthcare and so on and so on. We need more people to show up."
2. Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 11:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10-11 am. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now lead quite capably by Judy Farrar. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.44. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, 360-336-1555."