News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for April 18, 2022
1. NEW – The 39th Legislative District Democrats General Meeting is Sunday, Apr 24, 10:30am via Zoom
Click Here for the Zoom link.
2. NEW – The 40th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meets Tuesday, Apr 26, 6:00pm – 7:30pm, via Zoom
Click Here for the Zoom link. More information is available on the 40th LD Dems website.
3. NEW – 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen has two events scheduled for Thursday, May 5
“We are hosting two events in Mount Vernon on May 5th and would love to see everyone there. We will be doorbelling from Hillcrest Park at 1:00pm and having a kick-off celebration at 5:30pm at Skagit River Brewery. Please RSVP on the Facebook event – https://www.facebook.com/events/1038859543373048/.
May 5th (Skagit County)
- 1:00pm – 5:00pm: Doorbelling in Mount Vernon (Hillcrest Park)
- 5:30pm – 7:00pm: Celebration and Fundraiser Event in Mount Vernon (Skagit River Brewery)
Additionally, we received the following message from Representative Larsen on Easter Sunday:
“I just returned from a trip to a few NATO alliance countries last week.
I had the opportunity to meet some the Air Force, Navy and Army women and men from our state involved in the missions we have in Europe to support Ukraine. To a person, they appreciate the support and are living under a more elevated threat alert these days, as you might be able to imagine.
When you hear the Prez (or me) talk about the defense and deterrence mission Europe, it is another way of describing what these young people are doing every day. I am thinking of them today and of the people of and in Ukraine and praying for peace.
4. NEW – A message from Melissa Beaton, Skagit County Clerk
“Thank you for certifying me as a Democrat. I am honored to seek re-election as Skagit County Clerk. I look forward to talking more about my record of trusted leadership and continuing vision for the office as we get closer to endorsement time. Please reach out if you have any questions about my campaign or the role of County Clerk. My email is VoteForBeaton@gmail.com and website is melissabeaton.com.”
5. Gala Tickets are available!
JUNE 04, 2022, 6:00pm – Don’t miss out on an evening of fun and good food with friends! Tickets are $75 per person or a table of 8 for $600. Please join us at the SWINOMISH CASINO for a wonderfully delicious buffet dinner and silent and live auctions. The proceeds will help us support our local candidates in the upcoming elections as well as ongoing expenses.
The theme for this year is: “Ensuring our Democracy Together.” The Meet and Greet is from 4:00pm until 6:00pm.
To secure your tickets please make a donation using this link. Please indicate “Gala” and the number of tickets in the “Purpose” box. We appreciate your continued support.
6. Call for Auction Items
As we have done in the past, we appeal to you to help us with Silent and Live Auction donations for our annual Gala. These items, provide a significant amount of revenue.
In addition to silent auction items, you also have been very generous in providing us with Live Auction valuables like Vacation Weeks, Event Tickets, Boat Trips and the like. We totally appreciate these and count on the revenue they generate.
We need to collect all donation items no later than Friday, May 20. Items may be brought to our Headquarters Office, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104. You can also call 360-336-1555 and we can arrange to pick them up. Feel free to email any questions to email@example.com.
7. Bill Pfeifer Celebration of Life, Sunday, May 1, 1:30pm, Concrete Theatre, 45920 Main Street, Concrete
It has been almost a year (May 4, 2021) since Bill left us. A Celebration of Life is now planned. “A memorial video will be show at 1:30pm, Doors open at 1:00pm. Light refreshments and a no-host ice cream bar will be served. Come to share your memories of this wonderful man.”
8. Skagit County Democrats will continue to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
While the Statewide mask mandate has been lifted for many situations, we will continue to require facemasks at our Headquarters until further notice.
9. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- The Cold War Never Ended
- How to Spot Content Marketing in Search Results
- “If You’re Getting a W-2, You’re a Sucker”
- Why the Past 10 Years have been Uniquely Stupid
- Climate change: Wind and solar reach milestone as demand surges
1. NEW – Earth Day- Deception Pass State Park, Sunday, Apr 24, 9:00am – 1:00pm, Deception Pass State Park, 41229 State Route 20, Park at North Beach Bridge Parking lot
“We need your help! Join us Sunday, April 24th in honor of Earth Day to stage new split rails on top of Goose Rock. These rails will be used to restore safety fencing and protect the delicate plants on Goose Rock.”
2. NEW – Denim Day 2022, Wednesday, Apr 27, sponsored by Skagit Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Services
“Every year, SDVSAS advocates don their denim and support survivors! We invite our Skagit community partners, donors, and supporters to join us. Encourage your staff, friends, and family to participate and help us raise awareness about sexual violence in our community.” Click Here for more information.
3. NEW – National Women’s Political Caucus of WA for Movers and Shakers 2022, Saturday, Apr 30, 3:00pm – 5:00pm, Washington Athletic Club, 1325 6th Avenue, Seattle
The NWPC of Washington brings together current elected officials, candidates (and aspiring candidates), consultants, campaign managers, politicos, new and long-time organizers, allies, business leaders, and lobbyists for drinks, appetizers, connection, and conversation. We’ll inspire, motivate, and showcase the sheer number of women across Washington making an impact in every area of politics, business, and nonprofits. Sponsor proceeds and donations directly support women candidates running in the 2022 election cycle. Click Here for more information and to register.
4. Marcha Campesina, Sunday, May 1, 9:00am, Edgewater Park, Mt Vernon
March in solidarity with farmworkers and their families. After gathering at Edgewater Park, the march will proceed through Mount Vernon to Burlington and end with a food and community celebration at Horseshoe Park. Skagit County Democrats signed up to provide water and snacks so donations through our Headquarters Office would be appreciated. Click Here for more information.
5. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Apr 13
Click Here for the full report and resources.