News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for June 20, 2022
1. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats Headquarters Office will be closed Monday, Jun 20, to observe Juneteenth
2. Meet 10th Legislative District Representative Dave Paul and Candidate Clyde Shavers, Thursday, Jun 23, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, 14793 Gibralter Road, Anacortes
Hosted by Dan and Shay Schual-Berke. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org. "Ample parking across the street. Those with mobility issues should park in our driveway. Light refreshments will be served . . . Donations greatly appreciated."
3. NEW – Join Representatives Dave Paul & Alex Ramel for Doorbelling in Mount Vernon, Saturday Jun 25, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Meet at the Skagit County Democrats Office, 2021 East College Way, Mount Vernon, 10:00am. Bring water and good walking shoes. All materials and snacks will be provided. Questions – Email: Beth@VoteDavePaul.com or Jeremy@AlexRamel.com.
4. Washington State Democratic Convention
"Join us for our party’s annual convention June 24-25 at the Tacoma Convention Center. The Gala will be on the evening of the 25th. Attendees will hear from many remarkable local and national Democratic leaders. Click Here to register for the Gala. Click Here for registration and meal packages.
5. NEW – Independence Day Parade Sign-Making, Saturday, Jun 25, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
"The Skagit County Democrats will be walking in the Anacortes 4th of July parade and would love for you to join us! We will be making signs to carry in the parade at the office on Saturday June 25th from 10am to noon. Supplies will be provided, please feel free to bring the whole family!"
6. NEW – The next scheduled 40th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board Meeting is Tuesday, Jun 28, 6:00pm – 7:30pm, via Zoom
Click Here for the Zoom Link.
7. Anacortes 2022 4th of July Parade – Call for Volunteers to walk the parade
This year, Skagit County Democrats and Fidalgo Democrats will walk together in the Anacortes 4th of July Parade. This is a call for our members and families/friends to participate in this event on Monday, Jul 4. Parade begins at 11:00am from the location of 3rd Street and Commercial Avenue. We will assemble at 10:00am. We will have our banner, flags and some signs. Feel free to bring your own. Candidates may bring your signs. Wear your red, white and blue! This is an important opportunity for Democrats to show our strength and unity as we approach the November elections. Please RSVP your intention to walk the parade by emailing Charles Ivory, email@example.com.
IN ADDITION: "On July 4, after walking with Skagit Democrats in the Anacortes Parade in the morning, carpool down to Arlington and support Clyde Shavers in the afternoon. The Arlington Parade starts at 4 pm. Let us know you are coming and bring your patriotic smile! https://clydeshavers.com/."
8. The 39th Legislative Democrats will NOT be meeting in June
9. UPDATED – The Skagit County Democrats Annual 2022 Gala has been postponed until Oct 8
"The gala team has made the difficult decision to postpone our 2022 fundraising gala and auction from our original date of Saturday, June 4th to Saturday, October 8th.
We continue to sell tickets! – $75.00 per person or $600.00 per 8-person table. If you have already purchased gala tickets, you can either keep them for the October date or you can request a refund by calling: 360-336-1555. The theme for this year is: "Ensuring our Democracy Together." To secure your tickets please make a donation using this link. Please indicate "Gala" and the number of tickets in the "Purpose" box.
We will continue to gratefully accept any auction item donations through spring and summer in preparation for our fall gala. Donations can either be dropped off at our Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, from 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday-Thursday or you can request an item be picked-up – email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAVE THE DATE CARDS – The Gala Team has created Save The Date cards to be handed out to help advertise our upcoming Gala. They include information on the Gala and are designed to act as both invitations to attend and reminders of the event. If you would like some to hand out, please pick some up at headquarters at 2021 E College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, or request some be mailed to you by contacting Sheila Mulligan at 360-899-4220 or email@example.com.
10. Skagit County Democrats will continue to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
While the Statewide mask mandate has been lifted for many situations, we will continue to require facemasks at our Headquarters until further notice.
11. NEW – 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen penned an op-ed opposing privatizing Medicare
Click Here for the article in the Cascadia Daily News.
12. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Putin and the Oligarchs
- What impact are the events of January 6 having on the Republican primaries?
- Here’s Why You’re Still Stuck in Robocall Hell
- Restoring Teacher and Principal Well-Being Is an Essential Step for Rebuilding Schools
- Toyota's New Portable Invention Could Change The World
1. Monday, Jun 20, is the observed Juneteenth Holiday – expect Federal, State, and County office closures
Click Here for more information on this holiday.
2. NEW – Sedro-Woolley YMCA Recreation Center ribbon-cutting ceremony, Wednesday, Jun 22, 1:00pm, 802 Ball Street (old library building), Sedro-Woolley
"Starting in Summer 2022, the Skagit Y is offering two FREE programs for youth in Sedro-Woolley: a youth drop-in center and a running program. Both programs take place at the new Sedro-Woolley Rec Center at the old Central Library building (802 Ball St.). Youth are invited to take advantage of the drop-in center, the running program, or both!" Click Here for more information.
3. Schools are closing this month! Watch for the kiddos running around out there! Here is the scheduled "Last Day of School" list
- Anacortes – Tuesday, June 21 – Half Day for Pre-K-11
- Burlington-Edison – Thursday, June 16
- Concrete – Monday, June 13
- Conway – Wednesday, June 15
- La Conner – Monday, June 13
- Mount Vernon – Friday, June 17
- Sedro-Woolley, Friday, June 17
4. NEW – Skagit County Rental Assistance Program
"Fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic has led to an unprecedented number of households being behind on rent. In response to this need, federal, state and local policy makers have appropriated rent assistance to pay back rent, utilities, and some future rent to help people stay housed. Here in Skagit County, over $21 million dollars has been allocated to this effort to prevent evictions. Since August 2020, 700 households have been provided assistance through this effort." Click Here for more information including eligibility and application requirements.
5. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Jun 15
Click Here for the full report and resources.
1. Coffee & Cards is BACK! Wednesdays, 10:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
"Are you looking for a way to make a positive contribution to our democracy while enjoying the company of others? Coffee and Cards is starting up again on Wednesdays from 10-11 am. This is a group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan (who sadly moved away) and is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.40 (and will be going up to $.44 in the summer). Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, 360-336-1555."