News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for November 28, 2022
1. March with the Skagit County Democrats in the Mount Vernon Holiday Parade, Sunday, Dec 4, 4:30pm, beginning in the Library Parking Lot, 315 Snoqualmie Street
Santa’s coming to town! Kick-off the Holiday Season and create family memories at Mount Vernon’s Annual Holiday Parade! Sponsored this year by our new neighbor, WECU! Enjoy glittering floats, music, and lights from local organizations, schools & businesses.
Please join us and march in the Mount Vernon Holiday Parade on Sunday, December 4th, at 5pm. Meet in the library parking lot (315 Snoqualmie St.). Email Charles at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you will be participating. You should arrive at 4:30 to organize for walking the parade route. You are encouraged to bring family and friends. We had a terrific time last year. This is an important year to be visible to thank our community for their election support! Click Here for the parade route.
2. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats Central Committee will next meet Saturday, Dec 10, 10:00am via Zoom
This is our first Central Committee meeting with the newly elected Precinct Committee Officers (PCOs). Click Here for the Zoom link.
Currently our Reorganization Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, Jan 7, 2023 at 10:00am.
3. NEW – The 10th Legislative District Democrats Reorganization Meeting is Saturday, Dec 17, via Zoom
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87145433730; Meeting ID: 871 4543 3730.
4. UPDATED – The 39th Legislative District Democrats plan to have an in-person holiday potluck on Saturday, Dec 17, 11:00am – 12:30pm at the Marysville Library, 6120 Grove Street, Marysville
5. NEW – The Fidalgo Democrats will not be meeting in December
"The January meeting will return to in-person at the Anacortes Library on January 10. Our speaker will be newly elected Assessor Danny Hagen to explain how property taxes work." Details to follow.
The link to the recording of the most recent meeting on Nov 15 about housing for our whole community with Anacortes Council member Ryan Walters in now available. Click Here for the recording. "The recording started prior to the actual meeting, so please forward to the 9:40 mark. Sorry for the inconvenience."
6. Reorganization is coming up
(From Washington Democrats Chair Tina Podlodowski's newsletter of Nov 18) "Reorganization is the process by which local parties, who have newly elected Precinct Committee Officers from the midterm elections, meet for the first time with their new memberships and elect their officers. All 88 Legislative Districts and Counties meet to reorganize between the beginning of December, 2022, and the end of January, 2023."
7. Election Results
County Canvassing Boards certify final results and transmit them to the Secretary of State Tuesday, Nov 29. Dec 8 is the last day for the Secretary of State to certify the November 2022 General Election results.
To review the latest information:
- Local Skagit County Results: https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/20221108/skagit/
- Washington State Federal and Legislative Results: https://results.vote.wa.gov/
8. Skagit County Democrats Headquarters Office closure over Thanksgiving
Our Headquarters Office will be closed from Wednesday, Nov 23 through Monday, Nov 28, opening again on Tuesday, Nov 29.
9. Please return signs to the originating campaigns
If you have candidate signs in your yard, please contact the candidate. Signs cost money and candidates may be able to re-use them. Please DO NOT bring your signs to our headquarters. We don't have the space for them.
10. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- US corporations gave more than $8m to election deniers’ midterm campaign
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
- The U.S. Promised Tribes They Would Always Have Fish, but the Fish They Have Pose Toxic Risks
- People in Portland Planted Trees. Decades Later, a Stunning Pattern Emerged
- What Does It Mean to Care About COVID Anymore?
1. NEW – The monthly Planned Parenthood rally is Saturday, Dec 3, 11:00am – 12:00pm, on the sidewalk in front of the Mount Vernon Health Center, 1805 East Division Street, Mount Vernon
"Bring your signs, your friends and your families (and your dogs, we love your dogs…and Jake, we love your music!). There will be extra signs available in English and Spanish."
2. NEW – Christmas at the Station, Annual Tree-Lighting, Thursday, Dec 1, 6:00pm, 520 East Fairhaven, Burlington
"This year we will gather for a Train Station Christmas Tree Lighting at the Burlington Visitor Center right downtown. The evening will be complete with caroling & a pianist playing on the Community Piano, delicious hot beverages to warm you up provided by Whidbey Coffee, a letter to Santa with additional kid crafts supported by Helping Hands Food Bank, and most importantly: The arrival of Mr. & Mrs. Claus from the North Pole!"
3. NEW – Coastal Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony, Friday, Dec 2, 6:00pm – 7:00pm, Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, 819 Commercial Avenue, Anacortes
"Jingle all the way down to the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce for the Coastal Christmas Tree Lighting featuring music, guest appearances from Santa and the Town Crier, hot cocoa, and festive cheer. The Anacortes Coastal Christmas Tree will shine brightly all month long."
4. NEW – Christmas Tree Lighting in Gilkey Square, Saturday, Dec 3, 5:00pm – 6:00pm, Gilkey Square, 103 Morris Street, La Conner
"Join Santa as we light the town tree!"
5. NEW – Lighted Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting, Saturday, Dec 3, 5:00pm – 7:00pm, Downtown Sedro-Woolley
"The Lighted Christmas Parade begins at 5pm on December 3rd and the Christmas Tree Lighting will happen directly afterward in the center of town with Santa making an appearance too!"
6. The Skagit County Board of Commissioners is seeking two (2) applicants for Commission Members of the Housing Authority of Skagit County Board
Applications are due by Nov 30. Applicants must be residents of Skagit County. Click Here for the application process. Click Here for a description of the Housing Authority of Skagit County.
7. COVID-19 Information
COVID-19 Testing Site at Cascade Mall to Reduce Hours
"Effective October 31, 2022, the hours of operation at Skagit County Public Health’s COVID-19 testing site at Cascade Mall, located at 150 Cascade Mall Drive in Burlington, will be changing. Testing services will be available the following days and times until further notice."
- Mondays: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Click Here for the most current report and resources.
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Democrats are again demonstrating in Anacortes each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue. "We carry signs for Dem candidates, get out and vote signs, women's right-to-chose in healthcare and so on and so on. We need more people to show up."
2. UPDATED – Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Please note the time has been extended from 11:00am to 12:00pm.
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10:00am – 12:00pm. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now lead quite capably by Judy Farrar. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.44. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, 360-336-1555."