News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for August 14, 2023
1. UPDATED – The 10th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meets Saturday, Aug 19, 10:00am via Zoom
Click Here to register for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
2. NEW – Dave Paul Fund-Raiser, Tuesday, Aug 22, 5:30pm – 7:00pm
Community leader and retired Represenative Shay Schual-Berke is hosting. Representatives April Berg, Debra Lekanoff, and Alex Ramel will be in attendance! You can RSVP to Shay at email@example.com for the address.
3. NEW – From Outreach Committee
"Thank you to the Skagit County Democrats who walked in the Anacortes PRIDE and July 4 Parades! Parade routes were crowded with people and clearly from shouts and applause there were many Democrats present. At both parades we distributed 400 small United States flags to children, all labeled with our logo. As we move into the 2024 election season it will be imperative to demonstrate Democrat strength and viability. We hope that you will walk with us during these events.
- The Mount Vernon Holiday Parade will be held on Sunday, December 3, 5 to 6pm. More details will follow. The theme this year will be CHILDREN. We are looking for greater family participation in the parade.
- Upcoming is the Skagit County Democrat Volunteer Celebration. This event will be held on Saturday, September 23, from Noon to 3pm. Invitations will be sent out shortly. RSVP will be imperative [RSVP link will be included in the invitation]. We can accommodate up to 100, so reserve your seat at the luncheon table. There will be live music entertainment!"
4. The Fidalgo Democrats will NOT meet in August
5. 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen announces 2023 Congressional App Challenge
"Rep. Rick Larsen announced the launch of the 2023 Congressional App Challenge (CAC) this week. The annual competition, which runs through Nov. 1, is open to high school and middle school students who live in or attend school in Washington's 2nd Congressional District. The Congressional App Challenge is an opportunity for students to create programs or apps for any platform, including desktop/PC, web and mobile, to collaborate, invent and learn coding and computer science skills. Students may compete as individuals or in teams of up to four. Students can only enter the competition once." Click Here for more information. Click Here for the CAC website.
6. The 39th Legislative District Democrats host the Summer Picnic and Membership Meeting, Sunday, Aug 27, 12:00pm – 3:00pm, Hillcrest Park, 1717 South 13th Street, Mount Vernon
Mark your calendar! "Bring you family, friends, and pups for a fun-filled day in the park. Food and drinks will be provided." Click Here to RSVP.
7. NEW – Whatcom Democrats' 2023 Eleanor Roosevelt Dinner—'Choices', Sunday, Sep 10, 5:30pm, Silver Reef Casino Events Center, 4876 Haxton Way, Ferndale
"Speakers include Attorney General Bob Ferguson, Washington State Democrats Chair Shasti Conrad and Manka Dhingra, Deputy Majority Leader, Wa State Senate . . . Silent auction, raise the paddle, and raffle . . . Individual tickets – $75." Click Here for more information.
8. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Why it's so hard to build homes in your neighborhood
- The Other Billionaires Who Helped Clarence Thomas Live a Luxe Life
- America’s white majority is aging out
- Scientists at Fermilab close in on fifth force of nature
- Bringing Back the Buffalo
1. UPDATED – Proposed Washington State changes to refinery safety regulations open for public comment
"Many of us remember the tragic incidents at an Anacortes petroleum refinery in 1998 that resulted in the death of six employees, and another devastating incident in 2010 that left seven additional refinery workers deceased. These accidents had far-reaching impacts on so many families, our communities across the 40th District, and the entire state. Since then, efforts have been underway to improve workplace safety standards in the refineries and ensure no further lives are lost on the job.
After years of community and worker lead calls to take action, the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries has published a draft rule updating the Process Safety Management regulations. This month, they are hosting meetings across the region to hear your input on these proposed changes."
We encourage you to make your voice heard at any of the upcoming meetings listed below.
- Tuesday, August 15, 2023: Virtual via Zoom, Pre-hearing overview at 12:30 p.m, public hearing at 1:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 16, 2023: Majestic Inn & Spa, 419 Commercial Ave. Anacortes, WA 98221. Pre-hearing overview at 5:30 p.m., public hearing at 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, August 17, 2023: Four Points Sheraton, Fairhaven Room, 714 Lakeway Drive, Bellingham, WA 98229. Pre-hearing overview at 9:00 a.m., public hearing at 10:00 a.m.
If you are unable to attend one of these meetings, you can submit written comments for consideration by 5pm on Thursday August 24. Follow this link to learn more or to submit written comment.
2. Skagit County is extending its comment period for the proposed agritourism code changes to August 17, 2023
"All comments must be received by Thursday, August 17, 2023, 4:30 p.m. and include your full name and mailing address. Comments not meeting these requirements will not be considered. The Staff Report, SEPA and supporting documents for this proposal can be viewed on our website at: Skagit County Agritourism."
3. Concrete Cascade Days, Friday & Saturday, Aug 18 & 19, Veterans Memorial Park, Main Street, Community Center, & Silo Park, Concrete
Click Here for more information including schedule of activities.
4. NEW – Skagit Friendship House Benefit Concert previously scheduled for Sunday, Aug 20, Cancelled
5. NEW – "Oppenheimer, What the movie did not tell you", No More Bombs will be hosting a talk followed by Q&A after the Sunday, August 20, showing of Oppenheimer at 6:30pm at the Lincoln Theater, 712 South First Street, Mount Vernon
6. NEW – 19th Annual Fidalgo Bay Day, Saturday, Aug 26, 11:00am – 3:00pm, Samish Indian Nation’s Fidalgo Bay Resort,, 4701 Fidalgo Bay Road, Anacortes
"Celebrate our local estuaries and the beauty, history, and wonderful marine life . . . Over 300 people attend this event each year and take part in the Samish Indian Nation's popular educational beach seining demonstration, touch live marine critters in Shannon Point Marine Center’s undersea zoo, get creative at the kid friendly craft tables, play fun games, win prizes, and learn about local projects and volunteer opportunities at the many educational exhibits staffed by local agencies and organizations."
7. NEW – Free Computer Courses Offered in Spanish
"There will be free computer courses that will be taught in Spanish by bilingual instructors and will be offered in 7 sessions, beginning Saturday, October 14th, 2023, and ending on December 2nd, 2023. Classes will be on a weekly basis – every Saturday. There will be no session on Saturday, November 25th, 2023, as it follows the Thanksgiving Holiday. We will offer Advance and Basic level sessions. These courses are free for the participants. Please be aware that we are looking for individuals who can commit to attendance of 3 hours per weekend as spaces are limited.
As of Nov. 1, 2022, vaccines are no longer required and students are not required to submit proof of vaccination. Vaccines are still highly encouraged. For more information on the college’s COVID-19 policy please visit, https://www.skagit.edu/about/security-services/coronavirus-information/ The Northwest Agriculture Business Center is very excited to collaborate with Skagit Valley College to bring you these computer courses at no cost to you this coming Fall 2023."
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Progressive folks regularly demonstrate each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue in Anacortes. While this is not an official Skagit County Democrats activity, turnout is encouraged.
2. Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10:00am – 12:00pm. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now led quite capably by Judy Farrar and Judith Chilcote. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.51. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, 360-336-1555."