News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for September 4, 2023
1. The Skagit County Democrats Central Committee will meet Saturday, Sep 9, 10:00am via Zoom
Click Here for the Zoom link. While only Precinct Committee Officers and Executive Board Members may vote, all members are welcome to attend.
2. NEW – Headquarters Information
- Labor Day – Our Headquarters Office is closed Monday, Sep 4, in observance of Labor Day.
- Restrooms – Keypad locks have been installed on the doors to the Men's and Women's Restrooms by the building management. The combination is available in our Headquarters Office.
- Headquarters Staff Needed – If you are interested, please contact Angela Napoliello-Ivory at email@example.com or call and speak to Angela at 360-336-1555 Monday afternoons, noon to 4:00pm or Wednesday 12:00pm – 2:00pm. Training will be provided.
3. UPDATED – The Fidalgo Democrats next regularly scheduled meeting will be Tuesday, Sep 12, 7:00pm, Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
"The Fidalgo Democrats are having a candidate forum with the candidates running for Anacortes Port Commissioner. The candidates, Bonnie Bowers and Corey Joyce, will have an opportunity to introduce themselves, followed by a period of prepared questions. Time will be set aside for questions from the audience. For more information contact Barbara Cooper, 360 770-3506."
4. 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen announces 2023 Congressional App Challenge
"Rep. Rick Larsen announced the launch of the 2023 Congressional App Challenge (CAC) this week. The annual competition, which runs through Nov. 1, is open to high school and middle school students who live in or attend school in Washington's 2nd Congressional District. The Congressional App Challenge is an opportunity for students to create programs or apps for any platform, including desktop/PC, web and mobile, to collaborate, invent and learn coding and computer science skills. Students may compete as individuals or in teams of up to four. Students can only enter the competition once." Click Here for more information. Click Here for the CAC website.
5. Whatcom Democrats' 2023 Eleanor Roosevelt Dinner — 'Choices', Sunday, Sep 10, 5:30pm, Silver Reef Casino Events Center, 4876 Haxton Way, Ferndale
"Speakers include Attorney General Bob Ferguson, Washington State Democrats Chair Shasti Conrad and Manka Dhingra, Deputy Majority Leader, Wa State Senate . . . Silent auction, raise the paddle, and raffle . . . Individual tickets – $75." Click Here for more information.
6. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Cable News Shows and Networks Ranked For Bias and Accuracy
- Cannabis use disorder is common in one state [Washington] where marijuana is legal
- The End Will Come for the Cult of MAGA
- Is it bad to leave your laptop always plugged in?
- It seems like everyone has Covid-19. Here’s why this wave is probably worse than official data suggests
1. NEW – Tracy Powell, No More Bombs founder, is giving a presentation on what is being done to eliminate nuclear weapons, Tuesday, Sep 5, 7:00pm – 8:30pm, Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
"The topic of disarmament has often been overlooked in recent years, but with all that’s in the news these days about nuclear weapons and following the timely release of “Oppenheimer”, this is a timely talk. Learn what international, national, state, and local networks are doing and what we can do. Take advantage of this opportunity to find out more and join us!"
Also, "No More Bombs continues to protest nuclear weapons by bannering the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, 3 pm, at the downtown Mount Vernon I-5 overpass, above the Skagit Valley Food Co-op parking lot. We’ll have our “NO NUKES” banner plus American, Ukrainian, and Peace flags. All are welcome to join us. Parking is available North of the overpass on Fulton Street, near the old YMCA."
2. NEW – Alger Community Hall Fun'Raiser, Saturday, Sep 9, 10:00am – Sunday, Sep 10, 4:00am, Alger Community Hall, 18735 Parkview Lane, Burlington (Alger)
"Hosted by the Alger Improvement Club, this community event is a great opportunity for neighbors to get together. This community event will have games for the kids, amazing raffle items, music, local artisan vending their crafts and more. Always a fun event for the whole family."
3. NEW – Call for Applications for the Skagit County Planning Commission
Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:30pm. "Currently, there is a vacancy in District 1 on the Planning Commission. This call for applications is for residents who live in District 1 of Skagit County and would like to be considered for a seat on the Planning Commission. The new planning commissioner would fill the existing vacancy until the end of the term on August 31, 2024."
"The Planning Commission works with the Planning and Development Services Department and advises the Department and the Board of County Commissioners on proposed land use plans and regulations in unincorporated Skagit County. The Planning Commission consists of nine members (three from each Commissioner District) and usually meets twice monthly in Mount Vernon at the Commissioners Administrative Building. Meetings are broadcast live on Skagit 21 and archived online. More information about the Planning Commission is available at: www.skagitcounty.net/planningcommission." Click Here for more information.
4. UPDATED – School Daze is Here!
Below is a list of planned school openings by school district. (Dates may be subject to change by individual districts. Recommend you check each School district for other specifics.)
- Anacortes – Wednesday, Sep 6 – First Day of School (1st-12th Grades); Normal Early Release (Calendar)
- Burlington-Edison – Wednesday, Aug 30 – School begins, student half-day (Calendar)
- Concrete – Wednesday, Aug 30 – First Student Day (Calendar)
- Conway – Tuesday, Aug 29 – First Day of School 1/2 Day (Calendar)
- La Conner – Wednesday, Aug 30 – First Day of Instruction – Early Release (Calendar)
- Mount Vernon – Wednesday, Aug 30 – First Day of School (Full Day) (Calendar)
- Sedro-Woolley – Tuesday, Sep 5 – First student day (Calendar)
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Progressive folks regularly demonstrate each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue in Anacortes. While this is not an official Skagit County Democrats activity, turnout is encouraged.
2. Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10:00am – 12:00pm. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now led quite capably by Judy Farrar and Judith Chilcote. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.51. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, 360-336-1555."