News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for September 25, 2023
The Skagit County Democrats stand in solidarity with the UAW strike
1. NEW – Doorknock for Paul Cocke, Sedro-Woolley City Council candidate, Ward 5, Saturday, Sep 30, 11:00am, Bingham Park, 340 Bingham Park Loop, Sedro-Woolley
Click Here to get involved.
2. NEW – Fidalgo Democrats will conduct a Candidates Forum at their regular meeting, Tuesday, Oct 3, 7:00pm – 9:00pm, Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
The candidates for Anacortes School Board, Heather Brennen and Edward Barton, and the candidates for Anacortes City Council, T.J. Fantini and Linda Martin, will have an opportunity to introduce themselves followed by a period of prepared questions. There will be time for questions from the audience. For more information contact Barbara Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360 770-3506.
3. NEW – The League of Women Voters of Skagit County list of upcoming candidate forums
- September 27 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM
- Mount Vernon Chamber Candidate Forum
- Candidates for: – Hear from City Council and School Board candidates
- Register here for the event (Requires RSVP to attend – $25 meal is catered by Il Granaio)
- In Person: Hillcrest Lodge 1717 S 13th St, Mount Vernon
- October 2, 6:15 to 8:30 PM
- League of Women Voters Candidate Forum
- Candidates for: Sedro-Woolley Mayor and Contested City Council Races
- In Person: Skagit PUD 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
- Register Here to watch the forum via Zoom
- October 10, 5:00 to 8:00 PM
- Anacortes Chamber and League of Women Voters Candidate Forum
- Candidates for: City Council Position 3, School Board Position 5, Port of Anacortes Commissioner Position 4:
- In Person: Anacortes City Council Chambers 904 6th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221
- October 11 6:15 to 8:30 PM
- Burlington Chamber Candidate Forum
- Candidates for: Mayor, City Council, School Board
- Register here for the event
- In Person: Burlington City Council Chambers, 833 S. Spruce Street, Burlington
- October 16, 6:15 to 8:30 PM
- League of Women Voters Candidate Forum
- School District Candidates for: La Conner, Mount Vernon, and Sedro-Woolley
- Where: Skagit PUD 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon, WA 98273
- Register Here to watch the forum via Zoom
4. The Skagit County Democrats will host a Candidates Town Hall, Saturday, Oct 7, 3:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Conference Room, 2021 East College Way, Mount Vernon
Speakers will include:
- Lucy Madrigal, Mount Vernon City Council, Ward 1
- Andrew Vander Stoep, Mount Vernon City Council, Ward 2
- Paul Cocke, Sedro-Woolley City Council, Ward 5
- Hannah Oliver, Sedro-Woolley School District 101 Director, District 3
"Join us for an engaging and informative Candidate Town Hall hosted by the Skagit County Democrats! Get ready to connect with our dedicated candidates, gain insights into their visions, and have your questions answered. It's your opportunity to be an informed voter! Don't miss out on this chance to actively participate in your community's democratic process. We can't wait to welcome you! Bring your friends along for a vibrant discussion. See you there!" Town Hall Social Media Post to share with your friends
For those who plan to attend, 2021 East College Way is an office building set significantly back from the street. Our entrance faces the street on the east side of the building (next to the Munro's Driving Instruction Office). Our office is in the space previously occupied by Farmers Insurance. Click Here for a picture. To reach our Conference Room, enter the building and proceed down a long hall to a crossing hall. Turn left and proceed nearly to the end of that hall. Our Conference Room is on the left across from the restrooms. Our restrooms have a security keypad lock restricting access. The combination should be available from the meeting coordinators.
5. Central Committee Meeting Guest Speakers Video
The Skagit County Democrats' Quarterly Central Committee and membership meeting was held on Saturday September 9th. We were joined by Port of Anacortes Commissioner Bonnie Bowers, Senator Patty Kuderer who is running for State Insurance Commissioner, and State Treasurer Mike Pellicciotti. Click Here to watch a video of these three speakers.
6. NEW – November 7 General Election Dates
Below are significant dates from the Skagit County Auditor's Office concerning our upcoming General Election on Nov 7
- September 22 – Military and Overseas ballots mailed
- October 2 – Accessible Voting Unit test – 10:00 AM
- October 2 – Official Logic & Accuracy test – 1:00 PM
- October 18 – Domestic ballots mailed
- October 30 – Deadline to register or update existing registration online and by mail
- November 7 – Deadline for in-person registration and voter updates – Closes 8:00 PM
- November 7 – General Election – Closes 8:00 PM
- November 21 – Canvassing Board Meeting, Initial Review – 1:30 PM
- November 28 – General Election Certification – 1:30 PM
7. The League of Women Voters of Skagit County has recently updated their listing of elected officials from national down to local offices
Click Here for the list.
8. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Does the US prosecute more Republicans or Democrats? Here’s some data
- As Covid-19 hospitalizations climb, rates among seniors and children raise concern
- A Four-Day School Week? Here Are the Costs and Benefits
- A new Supreme Court case could trigger a second Great Depression
- The World Has Five Oceans, Not Four – Meet The Newest Addition
1. East County Community Meeting, Monday, Sep 25, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, Concrete High School Commons, 7830 South Superior Avenue, Concrete
"The Skagit County Commissioners and representatives from Planning & Development Services, Public Health, Public Works, the Department of Emergency Management, Facilities Management, and the Sheriff's Office will be in attendance to respond to community questions. For more information about this meeting, please contact the Skagit County Commissioners’ Office at (360) 416-1300 or email email@example.com."
2. The monthly Planned Parenthood rally is Saturday, Oct 7, 11:00am – 12:00pm, on the sidewalk in front of the Mount Vernon Health Center, 1805 East Division Street, Mount Vernon
"Join our Mount Vernon supporters in a monthly rally outside of the health center. They meet every month rain or shine. Bring your Planned Parenthood Swag and signs, and there will be extras if you don't have one!" Bring your signs, your friends, and your family. Please Click Here to sign up for the rally.
3. NEW – Planned Parenthood is recruiting patient greeters
"Good afternoon, Skagit supporters! I am excited to announce our Health Center Patient Greeter Program. We have begun this program in Bellingham with the goal of disrupting patient and protester interaction so that we can ensure every patient feels safe and welcome at our health centers. If you would like to become a Health Center Greeter in Mount Vernon, you will need to attend our next orientation and fill out the paperwork necessary to become a volunteer. Sign up below!" Jade Phillips, (she/her) firstname.lastname@example.org
4. NEW – Got surplus tires you need to get rid of? Fall Tire Round-Up Scheduled for October 5th and October 6th
"Skagit County will host a free tire-round up for Skagit County residents on Thursday, October 5th, and Friday, October 6th, at the Skagit County Fairgrounds. Residents must register at this link. There is a limit of twelve tires per household and tires must be road tires only, such as car, truck, motorcycle, or semi-trucks. Tractor tires will not be accepted. Tires must be dropped off at the north entrance of the Skagit County Fairgrounds at 1410 Virginia Street, Mount Vernon, WA 98273."
5. Registration is open for Skagit Valley College Latino Leadership
"We are looking for the next group of students that are interested in enrolling into Latino Leadership Initiative! This is a leadership enrichment program that is open to SVC students and community members. It is an opportunity to develop leadership skills, gain awareness of the needs and issues facing the Latinx community, and develop a service project locally to practice leadership. The first day of the program will be on October 14, 9am-12pm . . . For more information, call or text Jorge Estefan at 360-421-9090, or send us an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org."
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Progressive folks regularly demonstrate each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue in Anacortes. While this is not an official Skagit County Democrats activity, turnout is encouraged.
2. Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10:00am – 12:00pm. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now led quite capably by Judy Farrar and Judith Chilcote. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.51. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon,360-336-1555."