News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for November 13, 2023
1. Fidalgo Democrats will meet Tuesday, Nov 14, 7:00pm – 9:00pm, Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
"We have invited the Democratic Legislators from the 40th and 10th Districts to talk about the upcoming legislative session and what they hope to accomplish. There will be time for questions. For more information contact Barbara Cooper, 360-770-3506."
2. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats Headquarters Office will be closed over the Thanksgiving Holiday
The office will be closed Wednesday, Nov 22 through the rest of the week. We will reopen on Monday, Nov 27.
3. Message from our Skagit County Democrats Outreach Committee
MOUNT VERNON HOLIDAY PARADE
This year, Skagit County Democrats will again walk in the Mount Vernon Holiday Parade. The parade is scheduled for Sunday, December 3, 5:00PM to 6:00PM. We will gather at 4:15PM in the area of the current library located at 315 Snoqualmie Street where it intersects Cleveland Avenue. We do not yet know our position in the parade line up, so you may need to search a bit; we will check in at the library corner to be sure to find everyone. This is an event that shines the light on Skagit County Democrats and provides an opportunity for us to be visible to the people we support. Our experience has been positive with citizens applauding our presence in the parade. We encourage you to bring your friends and families. Children are especially welcome!
Skagit County Democrats will again distribute 400 small flags to children along the parade route. This year we are seeking a truck/classic car/other vehicle type to accompany us. If you are willing to participate with your vehicle we would like to talk with you.
Please email Charles Ivory, Outreach Committee chairperson, email@example.com, to let us know to expect you at the parade and to let us know if you have a vehicle you could drive in the parade. The Holiday Parade is about LIGHT, so bring whatever lights you may have to light our way. The parade lasts only one hour, so please join us in this community event!
4. Skagit Democrats business emails to Lynn Campbell need to be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynn has requested that all emails addressed to her related to Skagit Democrats should be addressed to the above email address. This allows her to differentiate between personal business and Skagit Democrats business. In addition, it allows more appropriate sharing within the organization. Finally, it is consistent with our organization's commitment to Role-Based communication and management.
5. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Inside Mike Johnson’s Ties to a Far-Right Movement to Gut the Constitution
- Why countering false election claims may be harder in 2024
- Abortion bans linked to increase in children entering foster system, researchers find
- Entropy: The Universal Force Shaping Your Life’s Complexity
- Migrants at the U.S. Southern border show up in historic numbers. Here's why:
1. November is National American Indian Heritage Month
Click Here for a listing of Native American Museums & Cultural Centers. The state of Washington celebrates Native American Heritage Day on the Friday immediately following the fourth Thursday in November (Nov 24).
2. Childcare Cooperative Workshop, Saturday, Nov 18, 10:00am – 12:30pm, Multi-purpose Room, Skagit Valley College, 2405 East College Way, Mount Vernon
"If you are: a parent, working family, Latinx community member, with childcare concerns, then come & learn how the cooperative model may help reduce costs . . . Free event with lunch provided by Cocina Sabores. To register, please contact Juan Morales – email@example.com or 360-770-0863." Click Here for the English language flyer. Click Here for the Spanish language flyer.
3. Skagit County Seeks Applicants for Housing Authority of Skagit County Board
"The Skagit County Board of Commissioners is seeking applicants for multiple open Housing Authority of Skagit County (HASC) board seats from residents of Skagit County. Skagit County is looking for HASC commission members who will provide leadership and accountability and work proactively and collaboratively with the community as a key partner in addressing homelessness. HASC commission members serve staggered five-year terms." Letters of interest must be received no later than Friday, November 17, at 4:30pm. Click Here for more information.
4. The Comment Period for the North Cascades Grizzly Bear Restoration Plan/Environmental Impact Statement closes Monday, November 13
- Click Here to submit comments.
- Click Here for an article on the benefits of grizzly restoration.
- Click Here for a Public Comment Sample Letter.
- Click Here to comment on the 10(j) management plan.
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Progressive folks regularly demonstrate each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue in Anacortes. While this is not an official Skagit County Democrats activity, turnout is encouraged.
2. Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10:00am – 12:00pm. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now led quite capably by Judy Farrar and Judith Chilcote. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.51. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, 360-336-1555."