News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for May 2, 2022
1. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats Annual 2022 Gala has been postponed until Oct 8
“The gala team has made the difficult decision to postpone our 2022 fundraising gala and auction from our original date of Saturday, June 4th to Saturday, October 8th.
Our dedication to ensuring the safety of our members and supporters forced us to take a critical look at our June plans. Uncertainty and concern surrounding recent in-creases in COVID-19 helped us come to the conclusion that we ought to postpone.
If you have already purchased gala tickets, you can either keep them for the October date or you can request a re-fund by calling: 360-336-1555. We will continue to gratefully accept any auction item donations through spring and summer in preparation for our fall gala. Donations can either be dropped off at HQ from 12-4 Monday-Thursday or you can request an item pick-up via email at: email@example.com.
We want to convey our gratitude for your support and our earnest hope that you will be able to join us for our new fall date. Stay tuned for details about summer fund-raising events. Onward we go!
With Gratitude, The Gala Team”
2. NEW – Alex Ramel Campaign Launch, Thursday, May 5, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, hosted by Nancy & Paul Orlowski, Bellingham
“Please RSVP here to receive address, accommodations and directions.”
3. 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen has two events scheduled for Thursday, May 5
“We are hosting two events in Mount Vernon on May 5th and would love to see everyone there. We will be doorbelling from Hillcrest Park at 1:00pm and having a kick-off celebration at 5:30pm at Skagit River Brewery. Please RSVP on the Facebook event – https://www.facebook.com/events/1038859543373048/.
May 5th (Skagit County)
- 1:00pm – 5:00pm: Doorbelling in Mount Vernon (Hillcrest Park)
- 5:30pm – 7:00pm: Celebration and Fundraiser Event in Mount Vernon (Skagit River Brewery)
If you have any questions, please email me (Hannah Oliver) here at firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at (360)421-7570.”
4. NEW – The Fidalgo Democrats meets Tuesday, May 10, 7:00pm, via Zoom
“Please join us for an interesting and informative evening with Washington State’s chief legal officer, Attorney General Bob Ferguson. AG Ferguson is committed to protecting the people of Washington against powerful interests that don’t play by the rules. He will discuss issues that are important in Washington State and nationally. We will have a better understanding about how legal actions and decisions affect our daily lives. There will be time for questions following his presentation.” For further information, contact Barbara Cooper, 360-293-4123.
Fidalgo Democrats’ meeting of Apr 12 (Legislative Update with Representatives Alex Ramel and Dave Paul) can now be viewed on YouTube
Click Here for the link.
5. NEW – The next Skagit County Democrats Executive Board meeting is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, 10:00am – 12:00pm via Zoom
Click Here for the Zoom link.
6. NEW – Candidate filing week is May 16 – 20!
This includes Precinct Committee Officers. Filing can be done online. Click Here for more information.
7. NEW – Free Training Available through the Best Practices Institute, a Project of the Democratic Party
“Are you ready to help elect Democrats? Register today for the DNC Best Practices Institute Train the Trainer (T3) Webinar Training Program! T3 is a free course covering several aspects of grassroots campaigning. Learn more and register here.
8. Skagit County Democrats will continue to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
While the Statewide mask mandate has been lifted for many situations, we will continue to require facemasks at our Headquarters until further notice.
9. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- Building the “Big Lie”: Inside the Creation of Trump’s Stolen Election Myth
- NATO’s Nordic Expansion – Adding Finland and Sweden Will Transform European Security
- Humans Can’t Quit a Basic Myth About Dog Breeds
- Elon Musk Isn’t Buying Twitter to Defend Free Speech
- World’s smallest gears measure mere nanometers to power molecular machines
1. NEW – Opening Day Boat Parade, May 7, 3:30pm – 4:30pm, Swinomish Channel, La Conner
“Swinomish Yacht Club presents Jungle Cruise.”
2. NEW – Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 8
3. NEW – Washington Listens provides a line to support people who feel sad, anxious, or stressed due to the events of this year including COVID-19 and the wildfires
“The program is available to any Washington State resident where staff provide peer support to those with elevated stress due to the pandemic. People who call or text Washington Listens will speak with a support specialist and get connected to community resources in their area. The program is completely free and anonymous. You can check out our Facebook page for more information on the program as well as resources, events, and tips for managing pandemic-related stress. To learn more about the program and additional information on what we’re doing to help individuals during the COVID-19 pandemic, go to https://waportal.org/partners/home/WaListens. To access the support line, call 1-833-681-0211.”
4. Skagit County Traffic Construction News
- Bow Hill Road Open to Traffic – Click Here for more information.
- Farm to Market and Josh Wilson Road Intersection Construction to Begin First Week of May – Click Here for more information.
5. The monthly Planned Parenthood rally is Saturday, May 7, 11:00am – 12:00pm, on the sidewalk in front of the Mount Vernon Health Center, 1805 East Division Street, Mount Vernon
Bring your signs, your friends, your family, and your masks.
6. Wildcat Steelhead Club Kids’ Annual Fishing Derby, Saturday, May 7, 8:00am – 3:00pm (gates open 7:00am), Thompson Pond, Olmsted Park, Old Northern State Grounds, 1451 North Fruitdale Road, Sedro Woolley
Kids 14 years old and younger. Bring your own bait and gear. Free hotdogs and refreshment. Click Here for more information.
7. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Apr 27
Click Here for the full report and resources.