News from the Skagit County Democrats
Skagit County Democrats Action Newsletter for September 12, 2022
1. NEW – SPECIAL NOTICE!
GREAT FALL GETAWAY! One time only virtual auction for two weeks in beautiful Mazatlan, Dates: October 16 – October 30, 2022. Go to auctria.events/mazatlanvacation for full details and to bid!
We’ve received a special auction donation for a resort stay in beautiful Mazatlan from 10/16 – 10/30, 2022. Because those dates are coming up fast, we are conducting a virtual auction for its sale now. The resort is PUEBLO BONITO at EMERALD BAY & SPA, staying in an ocean view Junior Suite, which sleeps four and has a kitchenette. You can view the resort at https://www.pueblobonito.com/resorts/emerald-bay. Bidding starts at only $400. To bid, go to auctria.events/mazatlanvacation. (Air fare is not included.) For questions, please contact Bob Doll at 360-202-6212 or by email to email@example.com.
2. The Fidalgo Democrats meet Tuesday, Sep 13, 7:00pm, via Zoom
"This will be an opportunity to meet our local candidates for Skagit County offices, the 10th and 40th Legislative races, Secretary of State and a representative from Senator Patty Murray’s campaign. This will be a great opportunity to get to know our candidates. Each will speak about their campaigns and there will be time for questions. Barbara Cooper, Chair, 360-293-4123"
3. NEW – 40th Legislative District Representative Debra Lekanoff hosts a Wellness for All event Wednesday, Sep 14, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, Taylor Shellfish, 2182 Chuckanut Drive, Bow
"This event will feature a meaningful program to connect us politically as well as get us thinking about how we can consider our own wellness in the world." Click Here to register.
4. NEW – The 10th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meets Saturday, Sep 17, 10:00am – 12:00pm, via Zoom
Click Here to register in advance for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
5. NEW – Candidate signs
We have campaign signs to distribute at our Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Mount Vernon; hours – 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday – Thursday. Let's cover/plaster/saturate the County with Democrat campaign signs! Currently available:
- Clyde Shavers
- Dave Paul
- Sandy Perkins
- Rick Larsen
- Germaine Kornegay
- Debra Lekanoff
- Patty Murray
6. Jessica Wadhams, candidate for 39th Legislative District Representative, is hosting multiple door knocking and other events
Click Here for a listing of upcoming events.
7. Skagit County Democrat’s “Ensuring Democracy Together” Gala & Auction! OCTOBER 8 IS FAST APPROACHING! Get your tickets!
"Many thanks to those of you who have donated to our Silent and Live auctions. We’ve received items ranging from political ephemera to home décor to get-aways. Exciting! Please keep those donations coming; the deadline is 9/20. Contact us at (360) 336-1555 to arrange delivery or pick up.
"Chocolate! Birds! Mayan Ruins! All for you In Belize. You'll enjoy all of these adventures from the Lodge at Big Falls which is centrally located in the Toledo district. Enjoy chocolate tasting, a visit to a spice farm, visit Mayan ruins – enjoy Belize to the fullest. Two people, 5 days, a gorgeous lodge, $3100.
Kenya Safari Extravaganza. Luxury accommodations at Sopa Lodge Lake Naivasha. Visit Masais, the home of Out of Africa, and more. Truly the experience of a lifetime! $4000 for two people for 7 days. Exciting and memorable.
These are just two of several vacation getaways the Skagit County Democrats are offering at the Gala 2022. Because we are able to offer more than one of each trip, you may purchase now as well as bid at the Gala. Air fare is not included, but the highly competitive pricing still makes the trips fantastic deals. Future newsletters will provide information on other opportunities. Email MaryStanton7@gmail.com for information."
- Event will be October 8th, starting at 4:00pm at the Swinomish Casino & Lodge
- Seats are $75, table for 8 is $600.
- Pay on line at https://secure.actblue.com/donate/skagit-county-democratic-party-1 (put number of seats in “Purpose” at the bottom of the page) or at our office at 2021 East College Way, #104, Mount Vernon, between 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Monday – Thursday.
- We still need volunteers to help in a variety of areas. Please email us at staff@skagitDemocrats.org with “Volunteer for the Gala” in the subject line. Thank you.
8. Skagit County Democrats continues to mandate facemasks at our Headquarters Office
9. NEW – Links of the Week
The Links of the Week provide in-depth pieces and resources the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
- The Dangerous Decade – A Foreign Policy for a World in Crisis
- A Dangerous Web – Mapping Racially and Ethnically Motivated Violent Extremism
- Merriam-Webster – "We Added 370 New Words to the Dictionary for September 2022"
- Why academic freedom challenges are dangerous for democracy
- U.S. Approval of Labor Unions at Highest Point Since 1965
1. Back to School 2022 – Be aware! All the kids are back in school!
2. Safe and Sane Skagit is hosting ‘Seeds of Change’, a fair of non-profits and groups around Skagit Valley, Saturday, Sep 17, 2:00pm – 5:00pm, The Granary, Edison, 14136 Gilmore Avenue
"Meet representatives of some of the leading groups in the valley seeking to increase our progressive community. Network, celebrate, educate. Mingle and enjoy refreshments and music by “Ladies Men”.
Nine groups will be tabling:
- Alliance for Gun Responsibility
- Safe and Sane Skagit
- Indivisible Skagit
- Evergreen Islands
- League of Women Voters of Skagit County
- Transition Fidalgo and Friends
- No More Bombs
- Home Rule Skagit
- Moms Demand Action of Skagit County
At 3:00pm: Guest speaker from the Alliance for Gun Responsibility followed by group introductions. Candidates endorsed by the Alliance may stop by. Join us! We hope to see you there."
3. NEW – Shred-a-Thon: A Fundraiser Benefiting the Anacortes Family Center, Saturday, Sep 17, 9:00am – 4:00pm, Anacortes Walgreens Parking Lot, 909 17th Street, Anacortes
"Bring your old documents to be destroyed! All of the proceeds will support the Anacortes Family Center- Anacortes’ own homeless shelter—serving women, children and families in crisis." $10 minimum/$20 suggested per box. Questions? Contact Heather at 360-293-2993 ext. 114 or Heather@AnacortesFamily.org.
4. NEW – Emergency Preparedness Training, Wednesday Sep 21, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, Central Skagit Library Community Meeting Room, 110 West State Street, Sedro-Woolley
"Join us for a FREE emergency preparedness training from Skagit County Public Health! -Learn about local threats that could impact your health and safety -Get prepared -Stay informed and get registered for CODEred -Learn about local volunteer opportunities with the Medical Reserve Corp There will also be a fun activity for kids!"
5. NEW – Blood Drive, Thursday Sep 22 & Friday Sep 23, 9:00am – 4:00pm, Immaculate Heart of Mary 719 Ferry Street, Sedro Woolley
"Bloodworks Northwest reports the local blood supply is running on fumes, as donations are down and patient needs for Type O blood and platelets are at their highest. All eligible donors are urged to make an appointment to donate in the days and weeks ahead. Appointments are required! Please contact Bloodworks NW at 800-398-7888 or follow this link.
6. NEW – Washington State League of Women Voters is offering an online training event on "Election Security: A Ballot's Journey", Monday, Sep 26, 10:00am – 11:00am, via Zoom
"Ever wonder how WA State counties can guarantee election security? Follow a ballot through the entire process to learn how, each step of the way, security and accuracy is assured. Snohomish County Auditor Garth Fell will be our guide."
7. NEW – Diaper Awareness Week is coming up from September 24 – October 2 – Diaper Bank of Skagit County
"Diaper need affects 1 in 3 families, and are essential to a baby's healthy development, yet most state and national safety-net programs do not recognize diapers as a basic need. As such, diaper banks are one of the only resources struggling families have to acquire diapers. In Skagit County, our diaper bank provides over 20 organizations with diapers and supplies!"
Do you want to host a drive? Hosting a diaper drive is a great way to come together as a community to support a large need in our county! Click Here for more information. Click Here for the Diaper Bank of Skagit County Facebook page.
8. NEW – The Intersection of Farm To Market Road at Josh Wilson Road is Now Open To Traffic!
Click Here for more information.
9. UPDATED – COVID-19 Information
Current Skagit County Information – The following is taken from the Skagit County COVID-19 Update of Sep 7
Click Here for the full report and resources.
1. Anacortes Sunday Demonstrations
Democrats are again demonstrating in Anacortes each Sunday, 12:00pm – 1:00pm at the corner of 12th Street and Commercial Avenue. "We carry signs for Dem candidates, get out and vote signs, women's right-to-chose in healthcare and so on and so on. We need more people to show up."
2. Coffee & Cards, Wednesdays, 10:00am – 11:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon
Coffee and Cards meets on Wednesdays from 10-11 am. This is the group that was previously led by Carol Sullivan and is now lead quite capably by Judy Farrar. The group is a way for us to express ourselves about issues of importance to us all.
We will write messages of encouragement and support to people who are making positive contributions as well as messages of concern and opposition to people who are negatively impacting our world. This includes legislators on the local, state, and federal level as well as CEOs of corporations and other people having a significant impact in our world. We will share ideas for people to write to and issues to address.
Postcards and stamps will be provided, but we ask that people bring money to cover the cost of the postcard stamps which are currently $.44. Coffee will be provided or bring your own. As Carol always reminded us, “We are stronger together.” Our office is located at 2021 East College Way, Suite 104, Mount Vernon, 360-336-1555."